One of the best things about going home as a college student is having access to your parents’ fully stocked kitchen – not just for the food but appliances too. I took full advantage of this last year by using the food processor to make soups, smoothies and pesto whenever I was home during the holidays.

Hummus was also something I missed making. As Chef Alton Brown agrees, it’s a great late night snack to have in the fridge. And with so many interesting recipes – check out this article that has 6 recipes for international inspired hummus – that the dip shouldn’t just be limited to those lucky enough to own a blender or food processor.

I found that using a potato masher, pastry cutter, or the back of a large fork gives almost the same result (and lets you get an arm workout in). The white beans in this recipe make the mixture a bit softer and easier to mash than traditional hummus as well.

Leave out the caramelized onion for a classic dip, or substitute other ingredients like roasted red peppers, edamame or beet for a different flavour. Either way, you’ll be able to hack your appliance-limited college kitchen and enjoy homemade hummus whenever you want.

Caramelized Onion Hummus

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:15 minutes
  • Total Time:20 minutes
  • Servings:6-8

• 1 1/2 cup chickpeas
  • 1/2 cup white kidney beans
  • 1 teaspoon butter
  • 1/2 cup white onion
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • Lemon Juice
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 cup cilantro

Rinse and drain chickpeas and white beans into a bowl.

Photo by Nathalie Kent

Using a potato masher, pastry cutter or the back of a fork, mash the beans together to form a smooth paste

Photo by Nathalie Kent

Meanwhile, heat butter in a sauté pan. Slice the onion and add it to the pan.

Photo by Nathalie Kent

Cook, for about 10 minutes, until onions are browned and softened.

Photo by Nathalie Kent

Chop onions and add to the beans, along with the oil, lemon juice and salt. Finely chop the garlic and cilantro and add as well.

Photo by Nathalie Kent

Mix well and serve with crackers and veggies.

Photo by Nathalie Kent