Last month, the community theme at Spoon was travel. To celebrate that theme, Spoon McGill had a potluck featuring foods of the world. I wanted to bring my chicken teriyaki to the potluck to add a bit of Asian flare, however with so many vegetarians in our chapter, I decided to make an alternate dish as well. Thus, the tofu fries were born.

I like to make the teriyaki sauce below in larger batches and store it in a mason jar in the fridge. This way, whenever I crave tofu fries or chicken teriyaki, I simply pour the sauce over chicken to marinate or use it as a dipping sauce. These tofu fries are perfect as a party snack or as a potluck dish. They could not be more simple to make and your friends will love you for making them.

For vegans, you can also substitute the honey in the teriyaki sauce for agave syrup or brown sugar.

Tofu Fries with Teriyaki Dipping Sauce

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:10 minutes
  • Total Time:30 minutes

• 1 block firm tofu
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 piece ginger
  • 1/4 cup corn starch
  • Salt
Photo by Helena Lin

Take the firm tofu out of its wrapper. Wrap the tofu with paper towels and place it under a heavy pot for 20 minutes.

If you are in a rush you can simply dry it as much as possible with paper towels, however the fries won’t be as crispy.

Photo by Helena Lin

In a mason jar, combine the soy sauce and honey. Use a microplane to grate in the garlic and ginger to taste or mince the garlic and ginger accordingly.

#SpoonTip: If you don’t like the bite that the flavor of raw garlic has, you can microwave the sauce for a minute. Keep an eye on it as it can boil over.

Photo by Helena Lin

Cut the tofu into fries. The thinner the fries the crispier they will be. I like to cut my fries into 1×1 cm strips.

Photo by Helena Lin

Season with salt and then toss the fries in corn starch.

Photo by Helena Lin

Heat a pan on medium high with enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. “Fry” each side until golden brown.

#SpoonTip: If you have a fryer, use it.

Photo by Helena Lin

When the fries are done, place them on a paper towel in a bowl. Remove the paper towel and season with some salt.

Photo by Helena Lin

Serve immediately with the teriyaki sauce.

Photo by Helena Lin