Last week, we met with Chef Robert and Chef John, who run the North Campus Diner at UMD. We’re partnering up with them for a late-night recipe featuring Maryland’s classic renowned combination: crab and Old Bay.

This quesadilla recipe includes crab, shrimp, thyme and lots of melted cheesy goodness. It’s the perfect recipe for a game night or a hangout with friends, as these pockets of creamy seafood are guaranteed to satisfy a hungry crowd.

The chefs met up with us at 251 North, where they taught us how to make these delicious quesadillas in less than 30 minutes. You’ll get to try this awesome recipe in person on April 12th at the North Campus Diner during late-night. Until then you’ll just have to drool over this nomalicious recipe. Who’s hungry?

Medium

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes

Servings: 16

2 oz butter, with extra
2 oz diced celery
2 oz diced onion
¼ teaspoon thyme
10 oz white wine
10 oz heavy cream
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 pound crab meat
1/2 pound cooked baby shrimp
1/2 pound cream cheese
6 oz bread crumbs
1 pound, 2 oz cheddar cheese shredded
2 oz Parmesan cheese shredded

8 12” tortillas
1 pound sour cream
1 pound Pico de Gallo

1. Assemble ingredients. Add butter to a large saucepan.

quesadilla

Photo by Wendy Zhou

2. Add onions, celery and thyme. Sauté lightly until butter is melted and onions are translucent.

quesadilla

Photo by Wendy Zhou

3. Add white wine and heavy cream. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer.

quesadilla

Photo by Wendy Zhou

4. Stir in Old Bay seasoning and lemon juice. Add cream cheese and mix with the liquid until fully incorporated.

quesadilla

Photo by Wendy Zhou

5. Remove from heat. Add bread crumbs, crab meat, shrimp, cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese.

quesadilla

Photo by Wendy Zhou

6. Place back on a low flame, stir constantly and heat until the cheese has melted.

quesadilla

Photo by Wendy Zhou

Your crab-shrimp dip is done! You can dip tortilla chips in this, spread it on a sandwich, eat it with salad or out of a spoon like we did. Or, read on for the quesadilla recipe.

quesadilla

Photo by Wendy Zhou

7. Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Lightly butter a pan, making sure to coat the entire pan.

quesadilla

Photo by Wendy Zhou

8. Place one tortilla in pan. Top with 2oz of cheddar cheese, spreading cheese over the entire tortilla. After the tortilla is browned on the bottom and cheese is melted, add 6oz of crab dip on half of the tortilla and spread to the edges covering half the tortilla.

quesadilla

Photo by Wendy Zhou

9. Fold over the cheese-only half of the tortilla onto the crab dip and press lightly.

quesadilla

Photo by Wendy Zhou

10. Remove from pan, cut and serve with sour cream and pico de gallo.

quesadilla

Photo by Wendy Zhou

We had a blast meeting the chefs and helping them make these quesadillas!

quesadilla

Photo by Wendy Zhou

Bonus: Shameless selfie with Chef Robert
11098284_1590243681222568_2040838312_nPast Spoon UMD Events: