The traditional mojito consists of 5 ingredients: white rum, sugar, lime juice, soda water, and of course, mint. Although there are infinite variations, they all involve mint, and you know what that means… muddling.

Muddling is a technique used by many bartenders to press an ingredient in the bottom of a glass to extract its flavor. However, muddling is a time-consuming process that can really become a pain when catering to a crowd. Therefore, we wanted to share a way to speed up the drink-making process by making a mint simple syrup that will not only be easier, but will taste even more delicious.

Mint Syrup

• Prep Time:2 minutes and 45 seconds
  • Cook Time:15 seconds
  • Total Time:3 minutes
  • Servings:12 oz. mint simple syrup

• 6 large mint sprigs
  • 12 oz 1:1 simple syrup
Photo by Parker Luthman

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and put some ice cubes in a medium bowl filled with water to make an ice bath. Holding the stem ends of the mint sprigs, completely submerge the leafy ends in the boiling water for 15 seconds.

Photo by Parker Luthman

Remove the mint sprigs from the pot, and immediately submerge them in the ice bath for one minute.

Photo by Parker Luthman

Remove the mint from the ice bath and pat it dry with paper towels. Pick the leaves from the stems. In a blender, combine the picked leaves with the simple syrup for 1 minute, and strain through a mesh strainer. Bottle and refrigerate.

This recipe makes about 12 oz of mint syrup, which will keep for about 1 month.

Photo by Parker Luthman

And you’re done!

Photo by Parker Luthman