Spring is in the air, which means Easter is around the corner. This giant, smiling bunny cake will be the perfect complement to a classic Easter spread of deviled eggs and candy baskets.

My mom and I used to make a bunny cake every Easter, so this recipe is a nostalgic way to celebrate the season. Plus, it's easy enough to re-create at college and fun to make with friends. The ingredients are flexible so you can make a unique bunny that suites your taste. 

Bunny Cake

• 1 box cake mix— I used Funfetti
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 can icing— I used vanilla
  • 1 bag Pull-Apart Twizzlers
  • 1 bag M&M's or Jellybeans
  • 1 bag Hershey's Kisses
  • 1 bag shredded coconut
  • Sprinkles or colored sanding sugar
  • 2 8" round cake pans
birthday cake, cake
Ansley Levine

Gather ingredients.

cake, tea
    Ansley Levine

Preheat the oven according to the temperature on your cake box.

pizza, beer, tea, coffee
    Alexis Dorsey

Prepare cake mix according to package instructions.

rice, egg
    Ansley Levine

Divide the cake mix into 2 8" round pans.

cream, milk
    Ansley Levine

Bake according to the time on the box or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. These cakes were baked for 28 minutes, the minimum time given on the box.

corn, bread
    Alexis Dorsey

Let the cakes cool completely (for at least 10 minutes) before turning them out of the pans. This is key— do not break your bunny.

chocolate, bread, cake
    Ansley Levine

Cut one of the cakes as shown to make the bunny's ears and bow tie.

cookie, muffin, pastry, sweet, cake, bread
    Ansley Levine

Arrange the bunny on the tray you will serve it on and frost it generously.

dairy product, cake, milk, ice, cream
    Ansley Levine

Here is where your bunny comes together. Spread the coconut for fur, add Hershey's Kisses for the eyes and nose, and pull-apart Twizzler pieces for a mouth and whiskers.

buttercream, birthday cake, cake
    Ansley Levine

Make your bunny one-of-a-kind with sprinkles and other adornments. The more colors, the better.

chocolate, cookie, cake
    Ansley Levine

And a bunny cake is born. Making these cakes has taught me all you need to make a cake look ~sweet~ is a lot of candy and a little creative spark. My photo albums have pictures of smiling bunny cakes from years passed that remind me of Easters spent decorating cake with Mom. Even now in the midst of classes and homework, a sugary bite of bunny cake will make it really feel like a holiday. Hoppy baking!