As a first-generation American, with both of my parents having immigrated to the US from Russia in the 90's, I grew up with a relatively unique palette. While my friends ate chicken noodle soup and hot dogs, my mother prepared borscht and kotleti for my brother and me. Although bringing these foods to elementary school was cause for embarrassment, I have always been proud of my heritage. Educating and sharing something so inherent to my life with others is extremely rewarding and offers an irreplaceable sense of community. 

Food is often a definitive aspect of any culture. However, certain cuisines are considerably more represented and more popular in America than others. Russian cuisine in America is extremely underrepresented, and restaurants serving authentic and enjoyable Russian food are often difficult to find. 

Russian foods were a staple of my childhood diet, and "blinchiki", or blintz, were by far my favorite dish. These thin pancakes are perfect for breakfast with sweet spreads, or for lunch with a savory side dish. Take a break from Bisquick mix, and expand your palette with authentically Russian blintz.

Authentic Russian "Blini"

• 3 eggs
  • 2 1/2 cups cold milk
  • 1 cup flour
  • A pinch salt
  • 3 tbs sugar
  • 1/4 light olive oil
Sarah Goldfarb

Beat eggs in a medium bowl for approximately three minutes

Sarah Goldfarb

Add 1 cup of milk, the sugar, and the salt to the bowl, and continue mixing

Sarah Goldfarb

Add flour to the dough and continue mixing

Sarah Goldfarb

Add one more cup of milk to the dough and continue mixing

Sarah Goldfarb

Add olive oil to the dough and keep mixing

Sarah Goldfarb

Place the pan on medium heat and add a bit of olive oil

Sarah Goldfarb

Once the pan is hot, take half a ladle of batter in one hand, and pick up the pan in the other, evenly distributing the batter around the pan in a slow swirling motion.

Sarah Goldfarb

Leave the batter on the pan for 30-40 seconds, or until the edges start to brown, and then use a spatula to flip the blintz

Sarah Goldfarb

Give the blintz another 20-30 seconds, and then use a spatula to remove it onto a clean plate. Repeat these steps until your batter is gone

Sarah Goldfarb

Enjoy your blintz with any sweet or savory spreads, or with nothing at all!

Sarah Goldfarb

Next Sunday brunch, try skipping the pancake mix and exploring the flavors of another culture with authentic Russian blintz. My favorite way to eat these is with honey and a dollop of sour cream in the center. I would recommend folding the blintz up into a quarter; it tastes delicious and is easy to eat. Add fresh fruit or fruit preserves for the perfect breakfast, or even eat them plain. 

Extremely underrepresented in the American restaurant industry, Russian cuisine offers delicious, cheap, and carb-tastic comfort food. Widen your palette and your cooking skills with this recipe, and beware— these go quickly!