One good thing post-holidays? Clearance holiday candy. Whether Santa brought you one too many candy canes this year or you’ve managed to swipe a few boxes for 75% off, here’s a tasty way to use them up. And since we know you may still be a bit sluggish from all the winter festivities, we made sure these cookies were super-easy to make. Simply whip together a few ingredients, pop them in an unheated oven and let them harden overnight. You might even forget that you made them in the morning and will be pleasantly surprised when you find them ready for the eating.

Medium

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: Overnight (or 8 hours)
Total Time: 8 hours

Servings: 10-12 cookies

Candy Cookies

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

2 egg whites
Pinch of salt
3/4 cups sugar
1 (6oz) package chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla
10 mini candy canes (crushed)

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. You want the oven to be on while you prep the batter, but remember to turn it off before putting the cookies inside.

2. Unwrap candy canes, put them in a plastic Ziploc bag and crush with a heavy object until they become partially powder with some larger chunks.

Candy Cookies

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

Tip: We used mini canes because they’re easier to unwrap but regular-sized ones work fine too.

Candy Cookies

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

Tip: An old textbook works perfectly for crushing the canes, especially if you have any pent-up frustration left. 

Candy Cookies

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

Candy Cookies

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

3. Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks and discard yolks.

Photo by Margaret Weinberg
Photo by Margaret Weinberg

4. Use an electric mixer to begin beating the egg whites. Add a pinch of salt.

Candy Cookies

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

5. Continue beating egg whites until they have a mildly foamy texture and semi-stiff peaks form when you pull the whisk attachment up from the batter.

Candy Cookies

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

6. Slowly add the sugar while continuing to beat. Add the vanilla. Beat mixture for 5-7 minutes until it thickens and stiff peaks form.

Candy Cookies

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

7. Fold the chocolate chips into the batter. Lightly mix until evenly dispersed.

Candy Cookies

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

Candy Cookies

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

8. Drop batter by the tablespoon onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper, spacing about an inch apart to allow for spreading. At this point, you can turn the oven off.

9. Top the cookies generously with crushed candy canes. Put the baking sheet in the oven and allow cookies to sit and harden overnight or for at least 8 hours.

Candy Cookies

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

Candy Cookies

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

10. Take cookies out the next morning. Eat while watching the snow fall.

Candy Cookies

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

Candy Cookies

Photo by Margaret Weinberg