When I'm at school, all I want is to eat homemade food. That''s why this easy, 10-minute homemade hummus recipe from my mom's kitchen is the perfect food for me to take back to campus. I am Lebanese, so hummus is a staple dish in my house. If I'm craving hummus at school (which I usually am), I could easily run to the store and buy some, but how could I betray my mother like that when she makes the best homemade hummus? Instead, whenever I go home, my mom and I make hummus for me to take back to my dorm so I can have something besides the dining hall food once in a while!

My mom's homemade hummus recipe is super easy to make. All you need is tahini sesame paste, garlic, lemon, a can of chickpeas, and a bit of salt. Once you make it, you can eat it with anything. I love to dip vegetables like carrots or cucumbers in it, but you can also have it with pretzels, pita bread, pita chips, anything! It's even really yummy to use as a spread on a sandwich. My mom's homemade hummus recipe is perfect to use as a snack or with you lunch and dinner. 

Hummus

• Cook Time:0

• 1 can chickpeas - partially drained
  • 2 tablespoons tahini sesame paste
  • 1 lemon - juiced
  • Garlic powder
  • Salt
Lauren Machalany

Blend chickpeas in a food processor until almost smooth.

Lauren Machalany

Add tahini, lemon juice, and a sprinkle of garlic powder (feel free to add more later).

Lauren Machalany

Process until smooth, adding water if necessary until it is a dripping texture.

Lauren Machalany

Add salt to taste.

Lauren Machalany

#SpoonTip: This recipe is a healthy alternative to chips and dip when you're feeling snack-y.

Hummus is the perfect thing to snack on during the day or those late nights because it lasts a decent amount of time (unless you’re like me and my friends who can finish whatever amount we have in one day). You can whip up a dish really fast so it's absolutely perfect for when you're in a rush or just too lazy to put a lot of effort into something. It's also a major crowd-pleaser when you go to events and want to bring something special. But make plenty, because it can go fast.

Shout out to my mom for this amazing recipe and for teaching me your ways! I hope you all try this out and enjoy the homemade hummus as much as I always do.