Latin foods are pretty much all I have on a daily basis whenever I'm back at home with my family. My mom, who is usually the cook in the family (unless I'm taking over the kitchen), cooks recipes my grandmother cooked, and she cooked the ones her mother did (this really just means a lot of condiments). But hey, that's my childhood.

Unfortunately, my home kitchen is so small that my mom declines my help when I volunteer to help her cook dinner. If I want to cook, I have to make desserts. 

I think most flan recipes don't have an alcohol component, but this one does. It is a light dessert that manages to satisfy your sweet tooth without making you feel too full afterwards. I've changed the alcohol to ones you can more easily find here in the U.S. This recipe calls for cognac or bourbon, but if you have bourbon, I think you will get a better result. 

Latin Flan

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 20 mins

• Caramel sauce:
  • 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
  • 2 teaspoon water
  • Custard:
  • 3 eggs or 2 eggs + 2 egg yolks for smoother texture
  • 1-1/2 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 pinch salt
  • Extra caramel sauce:
  • 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1-2 teaspoon bourbon/cognac
custard, sweet, cream
Tatiana Gonzales

First, we make the custard filling. In a saucepan, add the sugar, milk and vanilla extract. Stir together and heat it on med-high heat until it starts to boil.

#SpoonTip: You will see foam forming on the surface on the milk mixture when it's getting to boiling point.

GIF by Tatiana Gonzales

While the milk mixture is warming up, proceed to make the egg mixture (this is still part of the custard filling). In a heat proof bowl, add the eggs and pinch of salt. With a whisk, break the yolks and mix well. If possible, try to avoid too many surface bubbles (you'll definitely have some of course, but be gentle).

#SpoonTip: Don't mix the eggs too much or it will create little spots in the flan... it might not affect the taste but we want a smooth, creamy texture that simply melts in your mouth.

GIF by Tatiana Gonzales

After the milk mixture is ready, add it slowly to the egg mixture. Little by little, incorporate it while constantly mixing it with by hand with a whisk.

GIF by Tatiana Gonzales

Strain it into another bowl to get rid of clumps. This will result in the custard of the flan. It should be a consistency that is thicker than milk but thinner than a cooked egg custard.

GIF by Tatiana Gonzales

Let it sit for 15-20 mins. While it does so, proceed to making the caramel sauce.

For the caramel sauce, get a sauce pot and add the sugar and water. You want to heat it on med-high heat for about 2-3 minutes.

#SpoonTip: I suggest you don't stir it and just let it caramelize by itself. If you need to spread the water, hold the sauce pot handle and just move the pot side-to-side.

GIF by Tatiana Gonzales

After the caramel is amber color, pour equal amounts in the ramekins. It will start hardening fairly fast so be sure to work quickly. Let it sit until it hardens.

GIF by Tatiana Gonzales

Using a ladle, pour the custard filling into the ramekins.

GIF by Tatiana Gonzales

Place the ramekins in a large rectangular glass dish.

Boil some water to pour in the glass dish. Make sure the water covers about 1/4 of the ramekins dishes.

GIF by Tatiana Gonzales

Bake at 300°F for 30-40 mins.

#SpoonTip: You know the flan is ready when it jiggles a bit but not too much like liquid. You might want to cook it more, but that will make the custard have spots and a more egg-ish texture.

GIF by Tatiana Gonzales

Repeat step 5 for extra caramel sauce (optional). Just add the bourbon after it caramelizes.

GIF by Tatiana Gonzales

After the flan custards are ready, chill them for 4 hours.

Get a knife and run it around the edges of the ramekin dishes. It's normal to see a lot of liquid when you do.

GIF by Tatiana Gonzales

Flip over each ramekin dish onto another dish. Get a SPOONful of the extra caramel sauce and pour it on the flan.

Enjoy!

GIF by Tatiana Gonzales