I get it—celery isn’t exactly the sexiest vegetable, and we all know consuming salad can be a less than exciting task. The solution? Pair your celery with more inviting ingredients such as avocado, sweet apples, and nuts, and you’ve got a meal bursting with a whirlwind of flavours and textures.

In this recipe, avocado is incorporated into the dressing for an extra creamy and bold boost. Think of this salad as more of a guideline for future salad-making endeavors. Creamy and rich often pairs well with crunchy and fresh, sweet is balanced with salty or tart, and a little nuttiness and chewiness never hurt anyone. Best of luck. Let the salading begin.

Waldorf Salad

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:0 minutes
  • Total Time:10 minutes

• 1 avocado
  • 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • pinch salt, pepper
  • 4-5 large stalks of celery
  • 1 red apple
  • 1 handful of walnuts
  • 1 handful of raisins
  • 2 boiled eggs
Photo by Tess van Donkelaar

Slice the avocado in half and scoop it into a salad bowl (save the other half for later). Add the next 4 ingredients and mix and mash until the dressing is to your desired level of smoothness. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Photo by Tess van Donkelaar

Chop up the celery, core and slice the apple, and crush the walnuts if they’re whole. Add the celery, apple, walnuts, and raisins to the bowl. Mix well.

Cube the other half of avocado. Add to bowl. Slice the eggs and crumble into bowl. Fold these ingredients in, add any more salt and pepper, and serve.

Photo by Tess van Donkelaar