I know literally everyone claims this about their own mom, but my mom is the best chef in the whole entire universe. Ask anyone who's tried her food. From her pasta dishes to egg salad sandwiches, she is able to make anything. But, one dish that'll always remind me of my home and family is called Pot-au-feu. Pot-au-feu is more commonly known as a classic French meal. It translates to "pot on the fire" and consists of beef broth with meats and veggies. It is a hearty soup that is eaten as comfort food. But, my mom does a Japanese version of this (makes sense, since she's from Japan). A warm dish with flavorful dashi, sausage, veggies, and potatoes makes for the perfect homemade meal that always reminds me of home. It is a great winter meal, because it's hot soup, yet it's also delicious for the summer because it's light and fresh. It is filled not only with healthy nutrients, but with my mom's love. 

Japanese Pot-au-feu

• 1 pack smoked sausage or could be Japanese Arabiki sausage
  • 2 lbs small potatoes
  • 2 onions
  • 2 carrots
  • 2 stalks celery
  • 1 bunch broccoli
  • 10 cups water
  • 1 Japanese dashi pack or bouillon cube
  • 2-3 teaspoons salt
Alison Falk

Dice and chop veggies and sausage on cutting board

Alison Falk

Bring water to a boil and add dashi pack and/or bouillon cube

Alison Falk

Add salt, and pour veggies into pot. Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes until potatoes are soft. Once potatoes are soft, add sausage and cook for 7 minutes

Alison Falk

Enjoy!

Alison Falk