If you have ever wondered what rockstars like to munch on backstage, now’s your chance to find out thanks to a little drama that was stirred up between The White Stripes former frontman Jack White and the University of Oklahoma.

OU’s student-run newspaper published Jack White’s contract for a campus show earlier this February, including his tour rider which made more than a few food related requests.

These specifications included that 4 bottles of fresh fruit smoothies be ready for the band’s arrival and a New York strip steak cooked medium with a side of steamed veggies and no sauce be served for White’s post-concert meal.

It was also made clear that absolutely no bananas were to enter the building. Who knew the guitar god has a thing against potassium?

guacamole

Photo Courtesy of thelineofbestfit.com

White, who is known to be fond of his privacy, was rather upset about the newspaper’s decision to publish his personal rider. His booking agency took the frontman’s reaction a step further by banning future acts of theirs from playing at the university.

Whether you support the newspaper’s freedom to publish the rider, or sympathize with White’s frustration at the publication (as a life-long fan, I’m more inclined to do the latter), you’ll be happy to know something good came out of the kerfuffle.

Released in the rider was a very specific guacamole recipe reportedly developed by White’s tour manager. It is about as simple and stripped down as the musician’s blues roots, but the unmistakable flair present across White’s discography comes through with the addition of Serrano peppers.

While the recipe is fit to feed 30 hungry roadies, it can easily be scaled down to help you fuel up for your next air guitar battle.

Easy

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Total Time: 12 minutes

Servings: 30

8 large ripe Haas Avocados
4 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
½ yellow onion, finely diced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
4 Serrano peppers, de-veined and chopped
1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit (but save it). Dice the avocado into large cubes with a butter knife, using 3 or 4 slits down and 3 or 4 slits across.

guacamole

Photo by Olivia Henry-Jackson

2. Scoop out the avocado with a spoon into a large bowl. Be careful to keep the avocado in fairly large chunks.

guacamole

Photo by Olivia Henry-Jackson

3. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix together, but do not mush the avocado too much. The mixture should be chunky.

guacamole

Photo by Olivia Henry-Jackson

4. Add the avocado pits to the guacamole (to keep it from turning brown) and smooth out the top with a spatula. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.

guacamole

Photo by Olivia Henry-Jackson

5. Serve around 5 pm, as suggested by White’s rider.

Are you as avocado obsessed as Jack White’s crew? Indulge your passion with these reads: