While the village of Hamilton is the cutest little upstate town, there are still some aspects of urban life missing for Colgate students.  One such luxury was a coffee shop (you know- the kind where you can pretend to be super hip and take Instagram pictures at), that is until Rye Berry Bakery and Cafe moved in last March.  While "Coffee Shop" isn't exactly in the title, the bakery offers a great hang out space and study vibe with a full breakfast menu, daily lunch specials, gourmet coffee and tea, and freshly baked breads and pastries.  Without a doubt, Rye Berry is exactly what Hamilton needs.

Coffee

Rye Berry has a full barista bar with great coffee complete with latte art (for the insta, of course), a menu of exotic teas, and special drinks that can all be ordered hot or cold.  It is totally worth it to come to the cafe just to order coffee since it is also a fun experience. 

Addie Christianson

Food

A bit surprisedly, Rye Berry has a great breakfast which, although Hamilton doesn't necessarily need another breakfast place, is a great addition to the college town full of hungry hungover brunch obsessed students.  Their specialty is sourdough bread which they serve on their breakfast menu as "toasties"- pieces of toast topped with a spread (Nutella, almond butter, etc.) and bananas. However, they also have amazingly fluffy pancakes, homemade greek yogurt with granola and honey, cinnamon buns, oatmeal, french toast, and a variety of amazing pastries.  

Addie Christianson

The cinnamon bun comes hot and is glazed over with an amazing cream cheese frosting.  

Addie Christianson

I'll admit I'm not a huge oatmeal lover, but I had to try the savory oatmeal since it seemed so interesting.  I was pleasantly surprised.  The oatmeal is full of thick cubes of bacon, spinach, a poached egg, and parmesan.  Would 10/10 recommend for anyone who prefers a savory breakfast.   

Willis Manelski

The pancakes at Rye Berry are more of a "traditional American breakfast" meal as the fluffy cakes come with an egg, syrup, and butter.  Classic and tasty.  

Addie Christianson

This yogurt is amazing!  They make it in-house, and you can tell since it is full of flavor.  The yogurt pairs perfectly with the almonds, granola, honey, and bananas that they put with it, making it super aesthetically pleasing.  

Addie Christianson

My favorite toastie of Rye Berry's is their Nutella, banana, and sea salt one which literally melts in your mouth.  I had no idea that sea salt paired well with Nutella, but now I know to make my Nutella toast with it! The toasties are perfect for a small breakfast or a quick bite to go along with your coffee.  

Breakfast aside, Rye Berry has a couple of lunch options including a salad, quiches, and a couple of biscuit sandwiches which are amazingly hearty and flavorful.  

Addie Christianson

The vegetarian biscuit sandwich is a crowd pleaser with a fried egg, sauteed mushrooms, kale, fontina cheese, and pesto squished between a homemade biscuit.  It tastes wonderful, and looks pretty beautiful too!

Atmosphere

What really makes Rye Berry a special little gem is its atmosphere which caters to many occasions.  The plush armchairs are perfect for grabbing a coffee with a friend, the roundtables are perfect for Sunday brunch, and the individual tables are perfect for studying what with the abundant coffee and smooth music in the background.  There are pieces of fun local art hanging around which allows for the large eating area to feel comfy and homey- the perfect vibe to snuggle up and read a good book.

Addie Christianson

Eating at Rye Berry only evokes a friendly atmosphere making it super pleasant to go to!

Addie Christianson

A toastie and a dirty chai latte make for the perfect study motivation to keep any student concentrated during finals!