Grilled cheese is easy to make and it tastes delicious too. Why not use healthier and more creative ingredients than the typical Kraft singles and slices of white bread? Have some friends over and treat them to this unique cooking techniques provided by the steps below.

Easy

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Servings: 1 sandwich

Grilled Cheese

Photo by Dannah Strauss

2 slices of low fat cheese ex. Land O Lakes cheese thinly sliced (200 calories)
2 slices of multi-grain bread (100 Cal. Per slice)
2 tablespoons of scallions, freshly cut or buy packaged (4 calories)
2 tablespoons of low calorie Temp Tee cream cheese (80 Calories)
non-stick cooking spray

Directions:

1. Prepare the grilled cheese by placing 2 slices of cheese on one side of the bread and spread the cream cheese on the other.
2. Thinly chop the scallions and sprinkle it onto the cream cheese (you can also pre-chopped).
3. Turn the stove on medium heat or plug in a panini press and spray with non-stick spray.
4. Place the grilled cheese into a non-stick pan or onto the panini press and flip or remove as soon as the sides are golden brown and the cheese is melted.
5. Carefully take the grilled cheese out of pan/press and enjoy.

Grilled Cheese

Photo by Ella Storey

Healthy facts:

1. Multi-Grain bread, such as Arnold’s bread, includes 36g of whole grains, 7g of fiber and 10g of Protein. Typical white bread has only 0.6g of fiber and 1.91g of protein.
2. High protein, low fat and low sugar cheeses, such as Land O lakes, has 5g of protein while a Kraft Single only uses 3g of protein and is higher in sugar.
3. Scallions not only add more flavor, but also are low in calories and have vitamins C and K.
4. Adding any type of vegetable can enhance the nutritional value and digestive properties of a sandwich.
5. Cream cheese makes the sandwich more festive and creamy. Low calorie Temp Tee can replace the higher calorie butters or cheeses often used in gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches.

Check out these related articles: