Dear meat friends,

If there is ever a recipe you should know, it is a steak recipe. Maybe you want to impress a date without extensive effort but still with lots of love and motivation. Maybe you just want to stab into a fat piece of beef with a fork and tear through it with your teeth one hungry, carnal night. Steak is always a great choice. Choose steak.

However, you probably think steak would be way too hard to cook on your own. Sometimes, you can’t even microwave your frozen chicken correctly. Here is some reassurance: the difficulty of mastering the melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness of steak is only an illusion because steak inherently tastes so damn good.

Maybe you’re wondering why this recipe stands apart from the others you can find or have seen. This recipe could not be made easier and also highlights the flavor of the steak in harmony with the unmatched taste of butter. The following techniques are simple and essential to quality steak. Better yet, this is a recipe you can learn super quickly and not have to glance back and forth at while you cook. No, this is not a light recipe for a kale diet. However, this recipe isn’t overkill in the unhealthy aspects while continuing to remain a juicy, indulgent, drool-worthy one.

If you have leftovers, try repurposing your steak with this recipe. Chances are though, you probably won’t have leftovers unless you bought way too many steaks in excitement.

It’s time to put down your cup noodles, frozen dinners, and plastic utensils and grab onto some cooking tongs and fresh meat! Raise the fork and knife you actually bought from a store, proudly in the air as you prepare yourself for a fine meal created from your own two hands! Cheers to being self-sufficient! Cheers to more steak!

Yours truly.

To help you, we’ve even provided the finger test:

steak

Photo courtesy of leggebeef.com

This message and recipe has been approved by Ron Swanson (not really, but probably). 

Seared Steak

• Prep Time:25 minutes
  • Cook Time:15 minutes
  • Total Time:40 minutes

• 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1-2 tablespoon butter
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 sprig of thyme
  • Steak (we used ribeye)
  • Black pepper (crushed or freshly cracked)
  • Salt
Photo by Joyce Zhan

Remove steak from the fridge and sit on a cutting board for 20 minutes.

Photo by Joyce Zhan

Season liberally with salt and pepper on all sides and edges.

Photo by Joyce Zhan

Heat your pan on high until hot, put down the oil, and then sear your steak on both sides and then against the line of fat (tilt pan to sear the fat in the oil) for about 1.5 minutes each – return it to its side after.

Photo by Joyce Zhan

Add butter to the pan and add lightly crushed garlic and sprig of thyme a bit after – take about 1.5 minutes total – then flip the steak, tilt the pan, and spoon the melted butter over it.

Photo by Joyce Zhan

Poke your steak to know it’s done – AKA medium rare – using the finger test.

Let your steak rest on its own for 5 minutes. Then, put your steak on a pretty plate with a fave side dish and quickly take your Insta photos before it gets cold.

Photo by Joyce Zhan

That’s one sexy steak. Bon apetit!

Photo by Joyce Zhan