Pie often doesn't get the credit it deserves. It's a dessert that can be served hot or cold, in a flaky crust or graham cracker crust, and filled with fresh fruit, chocolate, or anything in between. Needless to say, those are only a few of pie's most pleasing properties.

Pie is noted as a healthier dessert option in regards to pastries, yet is rarely made at home. The crust seems too complex, the filling just doesn't come out right, and the recipes require intense attention to detail. As a result of this, baking pie is put on hold time and again. But that stops now.

After I completely failed at baking cherry pie last summer, I began transforming my favorite pie recipes. Or as I like to say, deconstructing. I did away with the crust and replaced it with granola to start, and then focused on capturing a specific type of pie's flavor and serving it uniquely.

The recipes below are the result of my deconstructed pie project, aka a simpler and healthier take on classic pie.

coffee, cereal
Zoe Malin

My cinnamon-flax granola acts as the crust in all of the deconstructed pie recipes. It adds the warm flavor crust usually does but is more satisfying and easier to make. The granola is subtly featured in the deconstructed pie recipes so you will have extra to enjoy on top of yogurt or in a cold bowl of milk.

Cinnamon-Flax Granola

• Total Time:1 hr

• 3 cups gluten-free rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup neutral oil like canola
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup whole flax seeds
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
pumpkin, sweet, cereal, granola
Zoe Malin

Set the oven to 350°F.

wine, coffee, pizza, beer
    Zoe Malin

Add the oats, cinnamon, flax seeds, and salt to a large bowl. Mix.

porridge, oatmeal, corn, oat, wheat, cereal
    Zoe Malin

Pour the honey into a microwave-safe bowl/cup and microwave for 30 seconds.

tea
    Zoe Malin

Add the hot honey and oil into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix the wet and dry ingredients very well so the liquid coats all of the oats.

granola, oatmeal, cereal
    Zoe Malin

Once the wet and dry ingredients are thoroughly combined, pour the mixture on to a pan lined with parchment paper.

sweet, corn, buckwheat, wheat, cereal
    Zoe Malin

Place the pan into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes. When 20 minutes have passed, take the pan out of the oven and mix the granola in the pan. Then place the pan back into the oven for 15 minutes.

Zoe Malin

When the granola is finished baking, it will be golden brown and the smell of cinnamon will fill the air. Take the pan out of the oven at this point and let the granola cool for about 20 minutes. After it's cooled, break up the granola using your hands or a spoon. Store in a tightly sealed container for up to 2 months.

chocolate, cereal
    Zoe Malin

Deconstructed Apple Pie

cream, whipped cream
Zoe Malin

As the frozen Greek yogurt drips down the warm, caramelized apples, the spice of the cinnamon oats amplify. The maple-roasted pecans add crunch, and the deconstructed pie finally comes full circle. Ideal for a crisp fall night in front of the fire, this apple pie plate is a recipe worth repeating.

Deconstructed Apple Pie

• 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
  • 2 apples
  • 1/4 cup coconut sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger
  • Zest from 1 lemon
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup pecans
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1/3 cup cinnamon-flax granola
sweet, sweet potato
Zoe Malin

Before diving into the recipe, put the Greek yogurt in the freezer. Also, set the oven to 350°F.

wine, coffee, pizza, beer
    Zoe Malin

Begin by preparing the apples. Skin the apples and cut them into thick slices. Place the apple slices into a bowl.

peach, apple
    Zoe Malin

Add the sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, lemon zest, and lemon juice to the bowl with the apple slices. Mix. Set this mixture aside for about 10 minutes so the apples can soak in the sugar.

sauce, chicken
    Zoe Malin

While the apples are soaking, make the maple-roasted pecans. Place the pecans and maple syrup into a small bowl and mix. Sprinkle with a little coconut sugar.

beer, pecan, chocolate, coffee
    Zoe Malin

After combining the pecans, maple syrup, and sugar, spread the nuts on a pan lined with parchment paper. Place the pan into the oven for 15 minutes.

lobster, barbecue
    Zoe Malin

When the apples have soaked for about 10 minutes, place them into a skillet over medium heat.

sweet, chicken, sauce, honey
    Zoe Malin

Sautee the apples in the skillet. Stir them constantly so the sugar does not burn. The apples are finished cooking when they have caramelized and are soft. When they reach this point, remove them from the heat.

honey, sauce, teriyaki, sweet
    Zoe Malin

Take the pecans out of the oven when they have cooked for 15 minutes and let them cool for 5 minutes.

sweet, pecan, chocolate
    Zoe Malin

Once you have made all of the components featured in the deconstructed apple pie recipe, assemble the dish. First, place 1/3 cup of the pre-made cinnamon-flax granola onto a plate.

chocolate, sweet, coffee, cereal
    Zoe Malin

Then, layer the caramelized apples in the middle of the granola.

cinnamon
    Zoe Malin

Finally, top the caramelized apples with the Greek yogurt that had been freezing while you prepared the recipe and sprinkle the maple roasted pecans over the yogurt. As the Greek yogurt beings to melt over the warm, flavorful apples, pick up your fork and take a big bite out of your masterpiece!

cream
    Zoe Malin

Deconstructed Blueberry Pie

sweet, chocolate, ice, cream
Zoe Malin

Transforming blueberry pie into a parfait is as easy as, well, pie! Berries, granola, and vanilla yogurt are staples of a parfait, just as blueberry sauce, buttery crust, and vanilla ice cream are staples of a blueberry pie—they line up perfectly.

Served hot or cold, for breakfast or dessert, these deconstructed pie parfaits will quickly become part of your daily routine and can even be eaten on the go. Pie for breakfast? Count me in.

Blueberry Pie Parfaits

• 2 8oz Mason jars or any small clear bowls
  • Pre-made cinnamon-flax granola
  • Shredded coconut flakes
  • 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup white sugar or coconut sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1 dash salt
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup blueberries - fresh or frozen
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
cream, muesli, granola, yogurt
Zoe Malin

To begin, make the blueberry sauce. In a small saucepan over low heat combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Mix.

chocolate, espresso, coffee
    Zoe Malin

Gradually pour the water into the saucepan and stir until the sugar, cornstarch, and salt has completely dissolved.

chicken, egg
    Zoe Malin

Add the blueberries, lemon juice, and lemon zest to the saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Continuously stir the mixture.

sweet, berry, blueberry
    Zoe Malin

Boil and stir the mixture until it has reached a thick, sauce-like consistency and is blue in color. When it reaches this point, turn off the heat and let the blueberry sauce cool in the saucepan for a few minutes.

gelatin, cranberry, marmalade, juice, compote, sweet, berry, jam
    Zoe Malin

While the blueberry sauce cools, begin to assemble the parfait. First, add 1/4 cup of the pre-made Cinnamon-Flax Granola to the bottom of each 8-oz Mason jar.

herb, chocolate, espresso, cinnamon, coffee
    Zoe Malin

Then, layer 1 tablespoon of coconut flakes over the granola in each Mason jar.

chocolate
    Zoe Malin

Next, scoop 1/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt into each Mason jar over the coconut flakes.

ice, yogurt, cream
    Zoe Malin

Finally, pour a thick layer of warm blueberry sauce over the vanilla Greek yogurt in each Mason jar.

granola, tea
    Zoe Malin

Repeat the layers (granola, coconut flakes, yogurt, blueberry sauce) until the Mason jar is filled to the top. Serve immediately while the blueberry sauce is still warm or refrigerate until it the parfait is ready to be eaten. Eat within 24 hours.

ice cream, cream, ice
    Zoe Malin

Deconstructed Chocolate Pudding Pie

strawberry, chocolate
Zoe Malin

I wanted to serve the deconstructed chocolate pudding pie creatively, so I decided to put a new spin on not only the pie recipe but on chocolate-covered strawberries too.

First, I replaced chocolate pudding with avocado pudding because avocado offers increased health benefits and richness. Then, I replaced the pie's usual graham cracker crust with the cinnoman-flax granola and added strawberries, which complement the cocoa in the avocado pudding. Covering the strawberries in the avocado pudding and granola ensures that all flavors are showcased with each bite. Indulge in one or shamelessly inhale a dozen; either way, you won't regret it. 

Deconstructed Chocolate Berry Pie

• Prep Time:1 hr 10 mins
  • Cook Time:0
  • Total Time:1 hr 10 mins

• 1 ripe avocado
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 dash salt
  • 4 tablespoons milk
  • Pre-made cinnamon-flax granola
  • Strawberries
chocolate, cake
Zoe Malin

Cut open the avocado, remove the pit, and scoop the flesh into a blender or food processor.

Zoe Malin

Add the honey, cocoa powder, vanilla, salt, and milk to the blender/food processor.

salt
    Zoe Malin

Blend the mixture until it reaches a thick mouse/pudding texture. At this point, stop blending.

milk, cream, coffee, sweet, chocolate
    Zoe Malin

Scoop the avocado pudding into a small dish.

ice, milk, cream, sweet, chocolate
    Zoe Malin

Pour the cinnamon-flax granola into a flat dish. You will be rolling the pudding-dipped strawberries in the granola, so make sure there is enough granola in the dish to cover the bottom.

chocolate, cereal, coffee
    Zoe Malin

Wash and dry as many strawberries as you would like to prepare. If the strawberries are not completely dried when dipped, the avocado pudding will not stick to them.

pasture, sweet, berry, strawberry
    Zoe Malin

To prepare the strawberries, firmly hold the stem and dip into the avocado pudding.

cream, chocolate
    Zoe Malin

Roll the pudding-dipped strawberry in the granola. Repeat for as many strawberries as you would like to make.

tea, herb, cereal
    Zoe Malin

Place all finished strawberries on a plate lined with parchment paper and freeze for about an hour. When ready to serve, allow them to thaw for about 10-15 minutes ahead of time. The strawberries will stay fresh for about 2 days in the freezer.

vegetable, meat
    Zoe Malin

My three deconstructed pie recipes allow chefs of all levels to make a homemade pie without worrying about perfecting the art of crust-making and also allows them to experiment with dishes once thought to be outside of their cooking comfort zone. These recipes are healthier than an average pie as well, as I have substituted less beneficial ingredients for more nutritious ones. Not to mention how unique deconstructed pie is. It's sure to blow everyone away at the next dinner party.