We all go through a phase when we love rainbows, right? Well, I’m still going through that phase, so when I was given the chance to make rainbow bread I went ecstatic. You may be thinking, rainbow bread? Does that mean it’s going to be sweet and sugary? Well, no… this rainbow bread is just regular bread, but you can always just add something sweet in the end, if that’s your thing.

Rainbow Bread

• Prep Time:1 hour 40 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:2 hours
  • Servings:8+

• 2 loaves of Rhodes bread dough, or any brand's White bread, thawed
  • Red, orange, yellow, green and blue food coloring

Cut each loaf into thirds, then cut the thirds in half. There should be 12 pieces of dough. Group these pieces into 5 different bowls so that you have enough for each color. Having extra isn’t a big deal, if you mess up with the dye you just have more to fix it.

Gif by Cassandra Bauer

Roll out each piece of dough into a long rope, then wrap each one around itself so it creates a lollipop-like shape. Set the dough aside except for one and place on a surface you don’t care about getting food coloring on.

Gif by Cassandra Bauer

Add drops of one color of food coloring onto the dough, applying generously.

Gif by Cassandra Bauer

Using the palms of your hands, press the dough into the surface you’re using, then pick it up and knead it in your hands. After that, fold the dough so you can see an area that needs food coloring and add more food coloring. Repeat this step until you are satisfied with the color of the dough.

Gif by Cassandra Bauer

Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each color of dough. Make extra of colors you don’t feel confident about, for example, for orange, since you will have to mix red and yellow food coloring unless you have orange food coloring.

Gif by Cassandra Bauer

Place each color of dough into separate bowls and cover them with a cloth. Let the dough rest for 10 to 15 minutes.

Gif by Cassandra Bauer

Roll out each color and arrange them in a rectangular shape. Do this for each.

After you roll out each, add one layer on top of one another, adding each color in the order of the rainbow. Make sure that each layer matches up roughly with the layer before it.

Gif by Cassandra Bauer

Cut the loaf you created in half.

Gif by Cassandra Bauer

Roll up each loaf so that the red dough is on the outside and blue is on the inside of each.

Gif by Cassandra Bauer

Place the dough onto a greased pan and cover it. Let rise for an hour or us, or until it has more or less doubled in size. Towards the end of the hour, preheat the oven to 350°F.

Bake for around 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool before serving.

Gif by Cassandra Bauer

Optional: Spread cream cheese over a slice, then cover in blueberries. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Gif by Cassandra Bauer