Halloween is quickly approaching and it’s time to get in the spirit. Costumes, scary movies, and sweets galore. We can finally escape this year and appreciate the intentional horror. While looking for a fun and super simple way to bring spooky vibes to my house, I came across this recipe for Severed Hand Pies. Combining gore and baked goods has never been easier with this Halloween pie. 

While the original recipe calls for cherries, I have adapted it and used apples with red food coloring. Since it is fall and my kitchen is filled to the brim with apples from a recent trip to the orchard, I wanted to find a way to encompass all of these wonderful parts of the season. 

This recipe is really easy and creative, whether you are baking for yourself or friends. 

Severed Hand Pies

• 2 14.1 oz packages pie crust
  • 2 apples
  • 3 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 10-15 drops red food coloring
Nichelle Gilliam

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper.

Nichelle Gilliam

Place 1 pie crust on a work surface. Cut 2 hands from the pie crust. (I found it easiest to trace my hand on cardboard first and use that as a guide in cutting the dough). Repeat with each roll of pie crust. Place the hands on the baking sheet.

dough, flour, pizza, cookie
    Abigail Shipps

Peel and cut the apples.

Cut apples, apple slice, apple, apples, Fruit, eat fruit, knife, cutting board

Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Add the apples and melted butter to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add the drops of food coloring accordingly and continue mixing.

Nichelle Gilliam

Take one hand and brush the edges and fingers with the beaten egg. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of filling on the hand.

Nichelle Gilliam

Place another hand on top of the first. Press the edges and fingers to seal the pie. Score the edges with a fork and score the knuckles and fingernails as desired. Brush the whole surface of the hand with the egg.

Nichelle Gilliam

Bake at 425°F for 16-18 mins, or until golden brown.

Nichelle Gilliam

Let the pies cool for about 10 mins and enjoy!

Nichelle Gilliam