My love for avocados is unsurpassed, except maybe by putting the mashed up goodness on toast topped with an egg. Thus, I am forever grateful for the day that I was introduced to avocado toast. Of course, this trend swept millennial America with thousands of unique creations, to the point of slight absurdity at times (dare I say it). That being said, I have tried my fair share of avocado toasts, both home-made and from restaurants. However, there is a part of me that dies inside every time I spend $14 on avo toast, so instead I have committed myself to creating the best avocado toast at home. When compared to my college-budget grocery list, avocados are a bit expensive, but one that I am willing to splurge on. The recipe I have created is simple, but has received the highest of accolades from my mom and my friends, so you know it is good. I also have a few unique twists and additions that will guarantee you create the best avocado toast yet.

The Best Avocado Toast

• 1 perfectly ripe avocado
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 slices bread choice-- I use Dave's Killer Good Seed
  • 1/4 tsp garlic salt
  • pepper
  • herbes de provence
Emma Rust

Cut the avocado in half, scoop it out into a small bowl. Add the garlic salt and a sprinkle of pepper and mash lightly with a fork until the avocado has reached desired consistency (I like it chunky).

Emma Rust

Heat a skillet on the stove over medium-low heat and coat with non-stick spray. When the skillet is hot crack one egg. Sprinkle with herbes de provence and pepper (to taste).
    Hint: if you don't want the egg to run too much: make sure the pan is fully heated before cracking the egg and then crack it near the side so it is somewhat confined.

Emma Rust

Once the edges of the egg white are cooked or slightly browned, pour about 1/2 tsp of water into the pan and cover immediately with a lid. Leave the lid on for about 30 seconds or until the top off the egg no longer appears runny, but not so long as the yolk is cooked through. Repeat with the second egg.

Emma Rust

Toast the bread.

Emma Rust

Top each slice of bread with 1/2 of the avocado mash, then top with egg.

Emma Rust

Simple yet oh so delicious. The subtle saltiness of the avocado mash combined with the aromatic heres de provence, the smooth egg, and the rich bread creates heaven in every single bite. 

Emma Rust

I kid you not this is the best avocado toast you'll find, but if you wanna spice up this simple recipe, here are some fun twists you maybe haven't tried.

1. Top with a balsamic reduction. This adds an element of sweetness and takes you to a whole new level of sophistication. All you have to do is boil balsamic vinegar, then reduce the heat and let it simmer until it comes to a thicker consistency. Drizzle it over top and you'll have a winning presentation and extremely flavorful meal.

2. Top with red pepper flakes and olive oil. This adds a little kick if that's what you're into, as well as a nice smoothness with the olive oil.

3. Wanna go bread-less? Try cracking the egg into a greased mason jar lid. Cook it the same way, by adding water and covering it with a lid. This creates a thicker, patty-like egg that still has a runny yolk.

Emma Rust

In summary, avocado toast is the greatest thing ever, no matter how overrated or overpriced people may say it is. I think if the haters just tried this recipe, they would be on board too. Even if you think you've perfected yours, give this recipe and these twists a try and you will see just how to make the best avocado toast ever.