Confession: I am a carb-addict. Rice, noodles, bread, cakes – whatever it is, I could never give it up. But what really tears my self-control apart are potatoes. I love them in every way: fried, baked, steamed, roasted or mashed. Most of my original recipes involve potatoes as the main ingredient so I’m always looking for a good potato recipe.

When I came across this recipe for tater tot nachos a.k.a. totchos, I had to make it. Totchos are extremely easy to make since most of the cooking involves assembling the pile of toppings on top of the crispy tater tots.

You can also play around with your choice of toppings. Instead of bacon, you can opt for chorizo or lean ground beef cooked with chili powder. If you are vegetarian, roasted bell pepper slices go very well with cheese and the crispy potato. For extra heat, you can add pickled jalapeño or some sriracha on top of the tater tots. I personally like to top my totchos with a sunny side up egg. The possibilities are endless!

This is a great dish to munch on while watching the Super Bowl this weekend. Word of caution: a fork is advised since eating totchos can get messy.

Watch the video below to see exactly how I made tater tot nachos and click here to see how I made the pico de gallo.

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 – 35 minutes (depending on the tater tots brand)
Total Time: 35 – 40 minutes

Serves: 3-4 people

1/2 bag of Tater Tots
Block of cheese (I used pepper jack, but you can also go with sharp white cheddar, mozzarella or any cheese of your choice. I didn’t specify the amount because you can put as much or as little as you want! You can also use premade salsa con queso).
2 pieces of bacon
Sour cream
Guacamole
Pico de gallo
A few green onions to garnish

1. Preheat the oven according to the instructions on the tater tot bag.
2. Cover the pan with foil and spread tater tots evenly on the pan.
3. Bake tater tots until golden brown.
4. While the tater tots are baking, dice the bacon into bite-sized pieces.
5. Fry the bacon pieces until they are crispy.
6. When the tater tots are done, load them into a glass or ceramic bowl.
7. Top the tater tots with a generous amount of cheese and bake them in the oven until the cheese is bubbly.
8. Top that with bacon pieces, pico de gallo, guacamole and sour cream.
9. Add a few sliced green onions on top to garnish.

A huge thanks to Andrea Kang for helping make this dish.