I have always loved adding a touch of sweetness to any savory dish. Over the years, I have experimented with sweet and savory dishes in order to create a dish with a perfect balance of sweet and salty. I finally created a sweet sugar-crusted salmon recipe that has become one of my favorite ways to eat salmon. 

Apart from the sweet element in this recipe, the highlight of it is the satisfying, crunchy bite. The secret? Raw sugar (and timing, but have no fear). This simple recipe only requires a few ingredients and should take no more than 20 minutes to make.   

Sugar-Crusted Salmon

• 1 filet salmon
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon rice wine
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 stalk green onion
  • Raw sugar. how much you need will depend on how big your salmon filet is

Combine the soy sauce and rice wine. Pour the mixture over the salmon and set aside. You will only need about 5 minutes for the fish to marinate. In the meantime, you can prepare the other ingredients.

dairy product, seafood, salmon, fish

Dice the garlic and green onion.

chives, herb, vegetable
    Hiu Mei Ting

Heat up a greased pan with medium heat. Place the salmon onto the heated pan and cook one side for about 3 minutes. (Don't throw out the leftover soy sauce mixture. You'll need it!)

sashimi, steak, sushi, meat, seafood, fish, salmon
    Hiu Mei Ting

Now this step is crucial: First, flip the salmon and immediately sprinkle the raw sugar evenly over the top. Be as generous or scarce as you like. Just keep in mind that you won't get as much of a crunch if you add very little. You want the sugar to stick to the salmon, so you must add the sugar while the salmon is hot. Proceed to cook the salmon for another 2-3 minutes.

sauce, pork, fish steak, fillet, barbecue, seafood, vegetable, fish, meat
    Hiu Mei Ting

Place the cooked salmon onto a plate. Using the same pan, pour in the leftover soy sauce mixture along with the diced garlic and green onion. Sauté until the garlic is fragrant.

meat, vegetable, saute
    Hiu Mei Ting

Top the salmon with the sautéed garlic and diced green onion.

pork, chicken, seafood, salmon, vegetable, sauce, fish, meat
    Hiu Mei Ting

If you're a sweet and salty lover or a person that gets satisfaction from bitting into crunchy foods, this sweet salmon recipe is right up your alley.