If you’re anything like me, pasta is a staple of your diet. Pasta can be pretty bland on its own, so you need a good sauce to go with it. This shrimp and red pepper cream sauce is one of my go-to sauces because it’s delicious and quick, perfect for a busy weeknight.

Shrimp can be a little pricey, especially for college students, but it’s also delicious and healthy. I recommend waiting until there is some sort of special on shrimp, and then buying it in bulk and freezing it.

There are many ways to cook shrimp. In this recipe, you’ll start with shrimp that’s already cooked. If you’re working with frozen shrimp, it’s easiest to boil them. Just throw your frozen shrimp into a pot of boiling water, and cook until the shrimp turn white. Personally, I prefer to thaw and pan sear my shrimp, but to each their own. Check out this recipe for instructions on how to cook shrimp.

While this sauce is fantastic over pasta, you shouldn’t limit it there. My mom likes using this sauce on spaghetti squash, but another serving option would be tofu noodles. Both of these will let you enjoy this delicious sauce, without all of the carbs associated with pasta. But if you want to get really fancy, you can make your own pasta to go with it.

Shrimp in Red Pepper Cream Sauce

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:10 minutes
  • Total Time:20 minutes
  • Servings:5 servings

• 12 oz roasted red peppers
  • 8 oz cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 2 pounds large shrimp, cooked and peeled
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (for garnish)
  • 7 oz your favorite cooked pasta

Process red peppers, cream cheese, chicken broth, garlic, and ground red pepper in a blender or food processer until smooth, scraping down sides occasionally.

Photo by Spenser Protasewich

Pour mixture into large skillet. Cook over medium heat until heated through, about five minutes.

Photo by Spenser Protasewich

Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

#SpoonTip: Need a recipe for shrimp? Check this one out.

Photo by Spenser Protasewich

Serve over hot cooked pasta of your choice. Garnish with basil and Parmesan cheese, if desired.

Photo by Spenser Protasewich