Once the holiday frenzy hits — either right at the start of November, or later, for the more stubborn people out there — it’s time to start decking the halls. This includes buying a ridiculous amount of candy canes, even though you know you’ll never actually eat them. Thankfully, this puppy chow recipe will change your candy cane game.

In case you didn’t know, puppy chow is for humans, not for dogs. I’m not sure why anyone would think that it would be remotely safe (or logical) to feed cereal covered in chocolate and sugar to a dog, but, apparently, there has been some confusion about the name. Hence, Chex coined the name “Muddy Buddies.” But I stand firmly with Team Puppy Chow (there’s even a Facebook page dedicated to it).

Regardless of the name debate, pretty much everyone on the planet agrees that puppy chow is the most addictive snack ever, and there are so many possible flavor combinations. This peppermint crunch variation is not only a great way to use up that copious supply of candy canes, but it’s also perfect for holiday parties and gift bags. So go ahead and chow down.

Peppermint Crunch Puppy Chow

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:0 minutes
  • Total Time:10 minutes
  • Servings:6 cups

• 6 cup Rice Chex cereal
  • 12 oz white chocolate melting wafers
  • 1 cup crushed candy canes
  • 1 cup powdered sugar (or more, as needed)
Photo by Meredith Ross

Measure out the cereal into a large bowl.

Photo by Meredith Ross

Melt the white chocolate using a double boiler, or by microwaving in 30-second intervals.

Photo by Meredith Ross

Pour melted chocolate over cereal and fold until cereal is covered.

Photo by Meredith Ross

Fold in crushed candy canes.

#SpoonTip: You can crush the candy canes however you want — put them in a plastic bag and break them up with a rolling pin or hammer, pulse them in the food processor, tap dance on them, etc.

Photo by Meredith Ross

Pour the powdered sugar into a large Ziploc bag. Add cereal mixture, seal the bag, and shake until completely coated. Discard excess powdered sugar and enjoy.

Photo by Meredith Ross