Comforting, gluten-free, versatile, and packed with nutrients, oatmeal is the true breakfast of champions. Oats contain more fiber and protein than most grains, which means they fill you up and keep cravings at bay. What's even better is that you can flavor oatmeal any way you choose, whether it be sweet birthday cake overnight oats or savory bacon, egg, and cheese oatmeal. Unfortunately, though, it can be difficult to cook it to just the right consistency. Everything could be going well at first, but it could turn into concrete or mush before you know it! Luckily, you don't have to worry about that any longer, because I have a recipe that will teach you how to make oatmeal on the stove like a pro. 

Stovetop Oatmeal

• 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 pinch salt
  • Any toppings you want
Victoria Spruiell

Set your stove to high heat and bring your water to a rolling boil.

#SpoonTip: Add a little more water if you want a thinner, creamier oatmeal or use a little less water if you want a much thicker oatmeal. If you are using less water, keep a close, watchful eye so that it doesn't burn or dry out too much. Regardless of how much water you use, be aware that some of it will evaporate when it boils.

Victoria Spruiell

When the water starts to boil, reduce your heat to low and add both your salt and your rolled oats.

#SpoonTip: Keep your salt at just a pinch per serving. You want it to bring out a little flavor in the oatmeal, but you don't want too much of a salty taste. Only increase your salt if you are cooking multiple servings.

Victoria Spruiell

Stir constantly until the oatmeal has absorbed most of the water, about 5 minutes. Most instruction labels on containers of oats will say to "stir occasionally." However, you will need to stir constantly in order to keep your oatmeal from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Use the clock as a guide, but don't rely too much on it. Regardless of time, remove your pot from heat as soon as you see that your oatmeal has absorbed most of the water.

#SpoonTip: Low and slow is best when learning how to make oatmeal on the stove; it'll ensure that it doesn't burn or turn into concrete.

Victoria Spruiell

At this point, your oatmeal should look similar to the photo below. Remove your pot from heat, place a lid on top, and leave it on for about a minute to finish the cooking process. This will create steam in the pot, which causes your oatmeal to absorb the rest of the water without drying out.

Victoria Spruiell

Add your favorite toppings and enjoy! I personally love adding a spoonful of peanut butter and some slices of banana. Today, I decided to get a little fancy and sprinkle some chocolate chips on top. You can also add nuts, cinnamon, cocoa powder, milk, yogurt, honey, brown sugar, maple syrup, or even an egg.

#SpoonTip: Mash up a banana, heat it either in the microwave or on the stove until it caramelizes, and mix it in with your oatmeal. You will be in heaven!

Victoria Spruiell

As long as you watch closely, it isn't too difficult to learn how to make oatmeal on the stove. With these guidelines, you'll be an expert in no time! Have fun with whatever toppings you decide to add and enjoy.