Layers of white and dark chocolate. Dense, cool caramel that melts in your mouth. Crumbly and buttery shortbread. A hint of salt to cut through the sweetness. Want to take a bite?

Originally a Scottish dessert, Millionaire Shortbread (also known as Caramel Shortbread) is the definition of sugared bliss. Three layers of decadence later, you will just want to keep taking bite after bite. These bars aren't super complicated to make, and they're certainly a crowd pleaser. Or if you simply need a pick me up during the day, or are starving after a night out, they will never disappoint. 

Remember, make extra if you are bringing them to a party because they will disappear before you know it. Here's how to make Millionaire shortbread at home.

Millionaire Shortbread

• Cook Time:2 hrs 30 mins
  • Total Time:2 hrs 50 mins

• 2 1/2 sticks 20 tablespoons butter
  • 1/3 cup cane sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup almond flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 6 teaspoons regular sugar
  • 1 tablespoon corn syrup
  • 1/2 tablespoon molasses
  • 13.4 oz dulce de leche
  • 1/3 teaspoon salt
  • 7 oz dark chocolate
  • 1 oz white chocolate
chocolate, candy, cream, milk, sweet, cake
Mireille Heidbreder

Combine the almond flour, cane sugar, 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) of cold, cubed butter, vanilla extract, and all-purpose flour into a food processor. Pulse and mix at high speed for about 1 minute until a crumbly dough forms.

Butter an 8-inch pan and press the shortbread dough into the base of the pan and up on the sides a bit. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 300°F and then bake shortbread for about 30 minutes.

Combine the corn syrup, the remaining stick of butter, normal sugar, molasses, dulce de leche, and salt into a sauce pan. Boil at medium heat for about 8-9 minutes, and until caramel is bubbling.

Add the caramel mixture to the shortbread base while the caramel is still hot, and spread evenly across the pan. Chill for 1 hour.

Melt the dark chocolate, and then pour across the shortbread and caramel. Make sure to spread out the chocolate evenly across the pan.

Melt the white chocolate and then swirl portions of the white chocolate into the dark chocolate with a toothpick or fork. Let whole dessert cool for another hour before serving (take out 10 minutes before if you want the caramel to thaw out a bit). Enjoy!