Granola is easier to make than you think. This recipe will show you how to make low-sugar granola that you can enjoy with almond milk, in a Greek yogurt bowl, on a smoothie, on top of an açaí bowl, or on its own. Most store-bought granola is loaded with refined sugars, artificial flavors, and preservatives. The best part about making your own granola is that you know exactly what’s inside of it. You can control its sweetness and customize it by adding your own favorite additions.

Healthier Granola

• 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted natural almond butter
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1/3 cup raw unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 pinch pink Himalayan sea salt
Neiv Toledano

To begin, place 2 ½ cups of rolled oats into a large mixing bowl. Make sure to use rolled oats and not steel-cut oats.

Neiv Toledano

Add the rest of the dry ingredients. I love adding raw, unsweetened coconut flakes and chia seeds into my granola because they provide additional fiber and are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids. You can purchase the coconut I use in the Trader Joe’s baking section. I also like to add a pinch of pink Himalayan sea salt at this time.

Neiv Toledano

Once you have prepared the dry ingredients, microwave the coconut oil and honey and add it to the dry ingredients. You can add more honey if you would like, but I use about 1/3 cup in order to keep the granola as low-sugar as possible. Next, add the unsalted, natural almond butter and a generous splash of high-quality vanilla extract. Mix all of the dry and wet ingredients together.

Neiv Toledano

Once the mix is combined, place it onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake the mixture for about 25-30 minutes in a 300° F oven. Make sure to check on your granola frequently because each oven is different. You want to bake it until the granola is a beautiful, golden brown color.

Neiv Toledano

After it looks finished, let the granola cool for about 30 minutes. During this time, the granola will become crisp and you can begin to prepare how you will eat it. Store leftover granola in a Mason jar.

Neiv Toledano

Make a yogurt parfait or Greek yogurt bowl by cutting fresh fruits like strawberries, bananas, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries and adding them to a bowl with Chobani 0% milk fat-free Greek yogurt. Add the homemade low-sugar granola to the bowl and finish it off with a final drizzle of honey or blue agave syrup and enjoy!

Neiv Toledano