If any of you are #obsessed with food like me the reason you love the Hunger Games so much probably has a lot to do with Suzanne Collins’ bomb food descriptions.

It always made me super hungry to read about Katniss’s favorite lamb stew in the books, so you can imagine my disappointment when it was not featured in the first movie. To quell my disappointment I decided to make my own version of Katniss’s Lamb Stew for the Mockingjay Part II premiere and last EVER Hunger Games movie. May the food creation odds be ever in your favor.

The Hunger Games Lamb Stew

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:55 minutes
  • Total Time:65 minutes
  • Servings:4-6
  • Advanced

• 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 pound potatoes, roughly chopped
  • 1 cup baby carrots, chopped
  • 1 cup pearl onions
  • 1 pound lamb sausage
  • 3 cup beef broth
  • 3 cup chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon thyme
  • 1 tablespoon rosemary
  • Salt (to taste)
  • Black pepper (to taste)
  • 1/4 cup flour to make a roux (optional)
Photo by Kelly Ho

Chop up carrots, onion, and potatoes.

Photo by Kelly Ho

Pour quarter cup of olive oil in soup pan and sauté onions until translucent.

Mash up lamb sausage in a frying pan. Make sure it is evenly spread out so it will cook evenly. This should take 6-8 minutes. When lamb is browned, pour into soup pan, reserving the extra fat.

Photo by Kelly Ho

Pour carrots and broth in soup pan.

Photo by Kelly Ho

Add potatoes and pearl onions to the frying pan, using the fat left-over from cooking the lamb. Cook on medium for 10 minutes.

Photo by Kelly Ho

Pour potatoes and pearl onions into soup pan.

Photo by Kelly Ho

If you want thicker soup, make a rue using the flour and about a cup of heated broth. Stir broth and flour together in a bowl and add back to the soup when combined.

Photo by Kelly Ho

Cover soup and simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until carrots and potatoes are soft. Serve and enjoy.

Photo by Kelly Ho