Let's be real here, almond butter is the glue holding all of our lives together. The creamy texture, addictive flavor, and unbelievable versatility put it on top of my list of favorite foods. Justin's has changed all of our lives by bringing their maple-flavored almond butter to the masses, introducing all of us to our new obsession.

As far as "things I eat out of a jar with a spoon" go, Justin's is definitely healthier than Nutella, ice cream, or cookie butter, but it's also way worse for my wallet. Depending on where you buy it, it can go for $7-$15 a jar, which adds up if you can polish off a jar in less than a week.

I decided that it was time to take matters into my own hands and figure out how to make Justin's Maple Almond Butter in my own kitchen — both to try my hand at making my own nut butter and to keep my budget under control.

Copycat Justin's Maple Almond Butter

• 2 cups almonds
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons maple sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • Pinch salt
beer
Molly Gallagher

Preheat your oven to 300°F. Spread your almonds onto a baking sheet and cover them with maple syrup, maple sugar, and salt. Mix so that almonds are evenly coated.

beans, coffee, cereal
    Molly Gallagher

Put your almonds in the oven for 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through. They're done when they look like the candied almonds you can buy at the store.

chocolate, sweet, cereal
    Molly Gallagher

Let the almonds cool for 10 minutes or until they're cool enough to break up with your hands.

Molly Gallagher

Blend the almonds in the food processor for 10-15 minutes, or until you reach the consistency you want. You'll have to stop to scrape down the sides periodically, and be patient — it doesn't look like it's going to work until the nuts release their oil.

sweet, milk, cream, coffee, chocolate
    Molly Gallagher

Put the finished product in a jar and enjoy!

coffee, milk
    Molly Gallagher

The best thing about making almond butter at home is that you get to control just how sweet you want it to be (I won't judge you for adding more maple syrup in at the end) and the texture you make it. I like mine a little crunchy and less viscous, but you can always blend it longer to make it how you like. 

Since you probably already have maple syrup at home, and almonds are relatively inexpensive to buy in bulk, making this recipe will save you money and make you feel like a #DomesticGod. If you make this at home, post a pic on Insta and tag me (@mylifeinsalad) with your favorite way to eat almond butter!