The clock strikes six—cue an unearthly howl from your stomach. Foooooooood, it begs.

You’re able to scavenge some scraps of ingredients from around the kitchen: some lone chicken drumsticks, some random assortment of seasoning, and… a few leftover cans of Coke.

The scarcity of actual dinner ingredients is worrisome. In fact, dinner doesn’t even look like it’s happening, especially if you hope to cook anything palatable through a concoction of those ingredients.

Except, you’re wrong.

Sure, they don’t seem to amount to much by themselves, but jazz them up with some Coke (and I mean our most beloved soda, of course), and you’re in for a cocktail of flavours mixed in with your favourite sugary addiction. Here is a daring, but finger-licking reinvention of your favourite grill house classic.

Medium

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours and 5 minutes

Servings: 8

2 pounds chicken drumsticks
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1¼ cup Coke
½ teaspoon onion powder
¼ cup packed light brown sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C). Prepare dry and wet ingredients.

chicken

Photo by Fei Huang, Edited by Nadia Zanardi

2. In a casserole dish, season chicken drumsticks with onion powder. Sprinkle two diced garlic cloves overtop and a teaspoon of chili flakes for spice.

chicken

3. Add Coke, sugar, and soy sauce to a small bowl. Mix well and pour mixture over chicken.

chicken

4. Bake with a foil cover for 2 hours, turning wings every 30 minutes. Bake for another hour uncovered, also turning wings every 30 minutes.

chicken

That’s it. It’s that simple.

Pop them out of the oven and you’ve got yourself a batch of tender drumsticks practically falling off the bone.

For more ways to whip up some delicious chicken, try these: