I’m probably the last female on the planet to begin watching Grey’s Anatomy. I’ve recently joined this medical bandwagon and have fallen in love with the juicy drama that fills Seattle Grace Hospital. My favorite character quickly became Izzie, due to her confidence, kindness, kick-ass surgical skills, and her amazing cupcake recipe.

You may recall in Season One when Izzie struggles to remember her mother’s cupcake recipe and actually has to visit a psychic to remember the secret ingredient. Well, I did a bit of digging, and I’m hooking you up with the famous Stevens family cupcake recipe. Not only can Izzie remove your appendix, but she can whip up a ridiculously good cupcake; a true Renaissance woman.

Izzie Steven's Cupcakes

• Prep Time:30 minutes
  • Cook Time:25 minutes
  • Total Time:55 minutes

• 20 oz semi-sweet chocolate, broken into 1/2-oz pieces
  • 4 oz unsweetened chocolate, broken into 1/2-ounce pieces
  • 4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 cup heavy cream
  • 10 eggs
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 tablespoon coconut extract
  • 1 1/2 cup cake flour
Photo by Allie Petty

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Fill the bottom half of a double boiler with about 2 inches of water and place on a burner on medium heat.

Fill the top half of the double boiler with the 20 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate, 4 ounces of unsweetened chocolate, and 2 cups of heavy cream.

Photo by Allie Petty

Cover the double boiler with a lid and let sit for 8 minutes. Once time has been reached, remove the top half and stir the chocolate-cream mixture until smooth.

Photo by Allie Petty

Place the coconut extract, eggs, and granulated sugar in a mixing bowl and electrically beat on medium power for about four minutes.

Photo by Allie Petty

Then, add the ingredients from the boiler to the mixing bowl and beat for an additional 20 seconds.

Add the baking soda, chocolate chips, and cake flour to the mixture in the bowl and electrically beat on low power for about 20 seconds or until the mixture is smooth (other than the chocolate chips, of course).

Photo by Allie Petty

Pour the mixture into paper liners in a muffin tin. Leave some room beneath the rim to allow the cupcakes to rise.

Photo by Allie Petty

Bake for about 25 minutes. Take cupcakes and allow them to cool before frosting. Enjoy!

Photo by Allie Petty