It’s the hallmark of millennials and a great beverage choice if you feel like flaunting how basic you are—the coveted Pumpkin Spice Latte. How would this generation even function if Starbucks had never whipped up such an iconic coffee drink? 

If you fall into either of those two categories, or if you’re just a DIY aficionado, consider trying the following recipe at home. It will save you both time and money in the long run.

#SpoonTip: If you don’t have a fancy espresso maker, have no fear. With this recipe, you can use basic ground coffee.

• 1 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar or maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon imitation vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 cup strong coffee or 1-2 shots espresso
  • Whipped cream

On a stovetop, whisk together milk, pumpkin and sugar at medium heat. Stir until mixture is steaming.

Remove the pan from heat. Stir in the vanilla and spice. It’s starting to smell like fall.

Lindsey Davis

Pour the mixture into a large mug. Add in coffee or espresso. I use half pumpkin mixture and half coffee when I make mine, but you can cater the portions to your liking.

Lindsey Davis

Top with whipped cream and additional pumpkin spice.

Lindsey Davis

Take that Starbucks, you’ve just created your own PSL. It’s time to say goodbye to spending upwards of five dollars every day on a drink you have now mastered enough to make in the comfort of your own home. 

Although many college students make room in their budget to visit the popular coffee chain on a weekly (if not daily) basis, not everyone can afford to frequent their nearest Starbucks. In addition, some college towns may not even harbor the franchise. Gasp.

Want even more pumpkin spice in your life? Try making these microwaveable pumpkin spice donuts or this amazing recipe for puppy chow with a fall twist.