Oreos are great, but homemade cookies are better. Now we have an unbeatable combination of the two: a homemade Oreo-style cookie that will be sure to satisfy your craving (and then some). Why eat store bought when you can have fresh, right out of the oven cookies that taste remarkably like your childhood favorite?

Medium

Prep Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours

Servings: 6

1 ¼ cups flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (tips for softening last minute)
¾ cup sugar
1 egg
1 ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup vegetable shortening
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk or cream

Directions:

1. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.

oreos

Photo by Sophie Maschinot

2. Beat 8 tablespoons of the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until combined.

oreos

Photo by Sophie Maschinot

3. Add egg and ¼ teaspoon of the vanilla and beat until smooth.

oreos

Photo by Sophie Maschinot

4. Add the flour mixture, and combine it with a wooden spoon until all the flour is mixed in.

oreos

Photo by Sophie Maschinot

5. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, then gently flatten into a disk and refrigerate for a minimum of one hour. It can last up to five days in the fridge.

oreos

Photo by Sophie Maschinot

6. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Don’t have parchment paper? Try one of these alternatives.

7. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about ¼ of an inch. Make sure you keep everything well floured to avoid sticking, or use this tip.

oreos

Photo by Sophie Maschinot

8. Using a 1 ½ inch cookie cutter (or a small cup), cut out approximately 32 cookies and place them on the prepared sheets.

oreos

Photo by Sophie Maschinot

9. Ball the cookie dough up and re-roll for more cookies until you’re out of dough (you’re a college student: being out of dough should come naturally).

oreos

Photo by Sophie Maschinot

10. Bake for about 8 minutes, then allow them to cool.

11. For the cream filling, beat the remaining 4 tablespoons of the butter and the vegetable shortening together.

oreos

Photo by Sophie Maschinot

12. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of vanilla and powdered sugar, mix until smooth. If the mixture seems to dry, add the tablespoon of milk. If you want, add a vanilla bean for extra flavor. Here’s how.

oreos

Photo by Sophie Maschinot

13. Spread the filling on the bottom of half of the cookies and sandwich them with the other half.

oreos

Photo by Sophie Maschinot

14. Eat fresh (highly recommended) or store in the fridge for about a week.

oreos

Photo by Sophie Maschinot

15. Pour yourself a glass of milk and get dunkin’.

oreos

Photo by Sophie Maschinot

Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it?

CkzVaubcn3y2Hitn4-3r-tEnm20I1dr5gul0OMc32kI

Looking to learn more about the classic cookie? Check out these links.