Tired of just selling brownies and cookies?  Missing snacks from your home in Hawaii?  Want try a new recipe for dessert?

Attending college at a school on the east coast was a major transition from my comfort haven in Honolulu, Hawaii. While there are absolutely many things I miss from home, I think the food I miss the most is butter mochi.

Butter mochi is similar to a blondie except it has a much more chewy texture, and it's made with a rice flour called mochiko.  

Butter Mochi

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 5 mins

• 1 pound mochiko
  • 2 cup sugar white/ brown
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup butter melted
  • 3 cup whole milk
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350° F (175° C). Grease a baking dish (10x14x2 inch). In a small pan, melt the butter so that it is in its liquid form.

dairy product, milk, butter, sweet
    Photo by Ashly Kim

In a large bowl, combine your dry ingredients: the Mochiko, sugar, and baking powder.

cream, chocolate, dairy product, sweet, cake, coffee, milk
    Photo by Ashly Kim

In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. Then whisks them together. #SpoonTip: Make sure that the egg yolk has completely dissolved in the liquid.

cream, milk, dairy product, egg, flour, batter, dough, white sauce, sweet, pudding
    Photo by Ashly Kim

Next, mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Pour the wet mix gradually into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix until the dry ingredients have dissolved as liquid.

flour, cream, dairy product, bread, milk, gravy
    Photo by Ashly Kim

Next add the melted butter into the mixture. Make sure to mix in the melted butter so that the mixture looks consistent.

Photo by Ashly Kim

After everything is mixed together, pour the mixture into your greased pan.

butter, cake, peanut butter, pie, peanut
    Photo by Ashly Kim

Place the pan into the preheated oven, and bake it for 1 hour.

cake, pizza, cheese
    Photo by Ashly Kim

When its finished baking, let it cool for a couple of minutes, then cut them into squares so that you can serve it to your friends or prepare it for a bake sale!

pumpkin, bread, cake, butter, corn bread, peanut, peanut butter
    Photo by Sally Kishi