You’re a wizard, Harry!

If you’re anything like me, then you also believe that the Harry Potter films are the best franchise ever made. What makes the films so special are the important themes throughout the series such as friendship and love. Every time I re-watch the series I feel as though I am reconnecting with a child-like happiness. 

If you're a true fan of the franchise, you might remember the scene in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Scene where Hagrid brings Harry a birthday cake he made for his eleventh birthday. Although simple, the cake has a very distinct look. It was Harry’s first birthday present ever. I have always loved this cake; not only the physical look of it, but the meaning behind it. 

For my birthday, the big 21, I wanted to recreate this cake. This is the perfect DIY to follow for you when you, your friends, or family have a birthday coming up and want to celebrate it Harry Potter style. 

Follow the recipe in 3 parts. 

Part 1: The Batter 

1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour

½ cup chocolate chips

¼ cup cocoa powder

½ cup hot coffee

1 ¾ cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking soda

4 large eggs and 2 egg yolks

½ cup oil

1 cup buttermilk

¼ cup softened butter 

Alexis Carson

First, grease two cake pans. The size of the pans is up to you; they just have to be round and the same size. Cut the parchment paper to fit the pans, then grease the pans again and add flour. Tap out any excess flour. 

Alexis Carson

Place a sauce pan filled with some water on high. Put a medium bowl over the sauce pan and pour the hot coffee in there. Add the chocolate chips, cocoa powder, ½ cup sugar and oil in as well. Stir everything together until the chocolate is fully melted and everything is mixed together. Once done, remove from heat and set aside. 

Alexis Carson

In a large bowl, combine the baking soda, salt and flour. 

Alexis Carson

Next, you want to use a stand mixer to whip together the eggs (just the eggs, not the whites) and 1 ¼ cup sugar until it is a light consistency. Add in the rest of the ingredients, the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture to the mixture. Stir everything together until it is combined evenly. 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Alexis Carson

Pour two equal amounts of batter into the two cake pans you prepared earlier and bake for 25-30 minutes. Check to see if your cakes are done baking by inserting a toothpick in the batter. Flip the cakes over onto the cooling rack once you can tell their done baking.

Alexis Carson

Let the cakes cool down for a few hours before you begin to start the icing.

Part 2: The Chocolate Filling 

½ cup chocolate chips

1 teaspoon corn syrup

⅛ cup sugar

½ cup heavy cream

1 tablespoons butter

½ teaspoon vanilla extract 

Pour the heavy cream and butter into a saucepan and set the heat to medium until it begins to boil. Once everything is melted, set the heat to low. Add in the sugar, corn syrup, and vanilla. Mix everything together until the ingredients are fully dissolved.

Pour this hot mixture over the cup of chocolate chips and mix until the chocolate is melted.

Alexis Carson

Place the chocolate mixture bowl into a large ice bath bowl. Stir the frosting and wait for it to cool. Take the chocolate mixture bowl out of the ice bath and whip until it is fluffy. 

Bring your two cooked layers of cake out and spread the whipped icing on top of one of the layers. Place the other cake layer firmly on top on the iced one. Put the cake in the fridge while you prepare the last step. 

Part 3: The Pink Frosting

3 cups powdered sugar

¼ teaspoon vanilla

¼ cup softened butter

¼ cup milk

Red food coloring (8 drops)

Green decorative icing 

Gather all of the pink frosting ingredients minus the food coloring and icing. Whip all of the ingredients until the icing is thick, then add the red food coloring drops. The color should turn out to be a darker pink. Place a thin layer of icing onto the cake. Put the rest of the icing away for 25 minutes. Once that is done, the icing will be thicker so spread the rest onto the cake. 

Lastly, use a knife and lightly write the words “HAPPEE BIRTHDAE HARRY” in green icing.

You can also choose to write your name instead or whoever's birthday you're celebrating. Next, use the green decorative icing to trace the words you wrote. 

Alexis Carson

You are done! Enjoy your replica Harry Potter Birthday cake. I loved how this cake turned out, the taste is very rich. The process is what is most fun though and something I believe every Harry Potter fan should do for their birthday!