If you’ve ever experienced the magic of exploring Epcot’s World Showcase, you’ll know that half of the fun is getting to snack your way across the continents, and maybe breaking things up with a drink or two (or seven). However, there’s one treat in particular in this round-the-world adventure that true Disney fans never miss: the pillowy, cream filled, coconut-dusted School Bread from Kringla Bakery Og in Epcot Norway.

school bread

Photo courtesy of @mousetoyourhouse on Instagram

Recently, Disney announced that they’ll be adding to existing Norwegian Pavilion with a huge rock formation, a brand new ride, and a festive meet and greet with our favorite new princesses, Anna and Elsa. While you may not be able to join the Frozen cast on opening day, why not whip up your own version of this cult classic in the comfort of your dorm?

It’s all the deliciousness of Epcot Center, without the fear of being run over by strollers. Now that’s what I like to call real Disney magic.

Copycat School Bread

• Prep Time:1 hour and 45 minutes (includes proving time)
  • Cook Time:15 minutes
  • Total Time:2 hours
  • Servings:1 dozen pastries

• 1 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoon cardamom powder
  • 4 cup flour
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla paste (or sub extract)
  • 1 package stovetop vanilla pudding mix
  • 1 well-beaten egg
  • 6 tablespoon powdered sugar, mixed with water for glaze
  • Shredded coconut
Photo by Taylor Gibb

Mix together milk and butter and heat either on stovetop or in microwave until warm (about 90°F).

Photo by Taylor Gibb

Stir in yeast and sugar, and let sit until the yeastie-beasties look foamy (mine took about 10 minutes).

Add cardamom, then flour about a cup at a time and mix with hands or standing mixer and dough-hook until dough pulls off the side of the bowl.

#SpoonTip: You may need to add a little more flour here, but the dough should still be super sticky so it doesn’t dry out!

Place dough ball in lightly-greased bowl, cover with a clean towel, and allow to rise until doubled in size-about 1 hour.

Once the dough has risen, punch it down, knead briefly until smooth, and make an 18-inch “dough caterpillar” to cut into 12 equal pieces.

Photo by Taylor Gibb

Roll each section into a ball and place on parchment paper to rise for about 20 more minutes until dough has “puffed” but not spread.

Photo by Taylor Gibb

Preheat oven to 375°F. While buns are proving, prepare pudding mix as directed, but stir in the 2 teaspoon vanilla as it cooks. Put in fridge to chill.

Beat egg and brush over the top of the buns, then put in the oven to bake for 15 minutes, or until shiny and golden-brown on top.

Photo by Taylor Gibb

Cut a small round hole in the top of each bun for filling. Feel free to eat the leftover pastry, or use it to attract passing reindeer (as is Norwegian tradition).

Photo by Taylor Gibb

Whisk powdered sugar with enough water or milk to make a thick glaze. Pour glaze into one shallow bowl, and put coconut in another. Dip the top of each bun in glaze, then in coconut, and set aside to dry.

Photo by Taylor Gibb

Finally, spoon prepared pudding into each bun, and feel free to garnish with more coconut or cardamom for decoration.

Serve warm or at room temperature. Pairs delightfully with hot tea, cocoa, or a passing Norwegian polar bear (as pictured).

Photo by Taylor Gibb