Everyone wants the perfect appetizer when hosting friends, but they don't need the stress of a complicated recipe. Pouring out some chips and salsa can look lazy and stuffing mushrooms will just take too long. Baked brie is a simple and delicious option for a night of entertaining or as a side for your glass of wine. Here are some helpful tips for making sure your brie comes out perfect. 

Brie is a soft cheese named after the French region of the same name. Rennet is added to the cow's milk in order to make the curd. You can buy brie as a whole wheel, or just a segment of the wheel. Brie can be eaten as is, or you can bake it. You can use brie to make grilled cheese or add it to your pasta for some extra flavor. Brie is paired well with Pinot Noir and Merlot, if you like red, or Chardonnay if you prefer white wine. 

cheese, milk, dairy product, dairy, wine, brie, cheddar
Kaitlin Wheeler

Baked Brie

• Brie - wheel or segment
  • Optional - your choice jam or honey - raspberry jam is a personal favorite
  • Optional - crackers or apple slices
Jackie Heller

Preheat the oven to 350º. Grab a cookie sheet and some parchment paper.

Cut off the top white part, or rind, of the brie. If it is unclear which side is the top, just pick a side.

Jackie Heller

Cover the cookie sheet with parchment paper and place your brie on top.

Jackie Heller

Spread your favorite jam on top of the brie if you want to really impress your guests.

Jackie Heller

Bake the brie for 10 minutes. Check on it after 7 minutes to make sure it isn't melting too much.

While the brie is baking, cut up an apple and get some crackers ready for dipping.

If ten minutes is not enough, just leave that cheese in there until it's to your liking.

Jackie Heller

Warning: Eating the whole wheel may be a little dangerous because you will just want more.

Also, if you don't have access to an oven, you can use a stovetop, but try to stay away from the microwave. If using the stovetop, keep a close eye on the cheese so it does not melt too much. If your only option is the microwave and you want to have a fancy night in your dorm, be very careful. You do not want to make a mess, so microwave on high for 1 minute and 15 seconds. If the cheese looks like it is bubbling up or looks ready to burst, stop the microwave. 

If you are debating between a segment or a full wheel, I recommend the full wheel. Invite some friends over if you think it's too much cheese and ask them to bring some wine or just store the leftovers for the next decadent treat.