When your friend has spent 45 days backpacking the Arctic Circle, she's sure to know a thing or two about trail food. On a spontaneous trip to Devil's Lake, Wisconsin, my friends and I discovered the beauty of trail pizza. Yeah, you heard that right. Trail pizza. With a few simple ingredients and a heavy duty pot, this recipe is sure to make any night cozy and delicious.

meat, pizza
Gabe Solarte

For this version we had the luxury of using fresh vegetables, which aren't always available on long-term trips (where dehydrated food is common).

My friend, Lena, who taught me this recipe, is an insane adventurer. She's been going on cross-country expeditions since she was 10 years old. Throughout her experiences of meeting bears, following caribou, or even chasing a cheesecake into the middle of a frozen lake, she's learned a lot.

Not only has she led me on so many adventures, but she was also the one who inspired me to become pescatarian. She is a full-fledged vegan and I admire her so much for that. Therefore, as if it couldn't get any better, this pizza is even cruelty-free. I hadn't camped in years (besides in my own backyard), but outdoor exploration has always been something I've wanted to try my hand at. Lucky for me, Lena is the perfect voyager to guide me!

vegetable, meat, soup
Emma Brant

Now, all her camping experience seems a little intimidating, but with an open mind along with an eagerness to learn, anyone can do it. So for all you aspiring adventurers, get outside and make your very own trail pizza. Who knows? Pizza now, then camping trips–before you know it you'll be a natural explorer. 

Trail Pizza

• Bisquick
  • Water
  • Olive oil
  • 1 jar tomato basil marinara sauce
  • Spice mix
  • 1 8oz package Daiya vegan mozzarella cheese
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1 container baby portobello mushrooms
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 1 container spinach
  • 1 container cherry tomatoes
pizza, salad
Emma Brant

Head to Trader Joe's or any other super cool local grocery store and enjoy the luxury of purchasing fresh veggies and ingredients to craft your amazing trail pizza.

cake
    Emma Brant

Go camping! Get outside and build yourself a fire. Grab your dutch oven and get cooking.

beer, tea
    Emma Brant

Coat the dutch oven pot with olive oil. Pour in Bisquick alternately with water until the dough reaches a stretchy consistency. There should be enough dough to coat the bottom and halfway up the sides of the pot. If a pizzeria chef would be able to twirl your pie in the air, then you're good to go!

Emma Brant

Press all the luscious dough into the bottom of the pot and up the sides.

flour, cream, dough, dairy product, cake
    Emma Brant

Pour that whole jar of saucy goodness over the dough. There's no such thing as too deep of a pizza. We are from Chicago, you know.

sauce, meat
    Emma Brant

Swirl that sauce with spices to turn up the heat! We used a mix of garlic powder, arrabiata, oregano, red pepper flakes, and dried basil.

tomato, vegetable, chili, sauce, spaghetti sauce, meat sauce, meat, tomato sauce, garlic, pepper, pasta sauce
    Emma Brant

Sprinkle with vegan Daiya mozzarella cheese.

meat, vegetable, chili, sauce
    Emma Brant

Layer on fresh cut red peppers.

meat
    Emma Brant

Layer mushrooms.

pizza
    Emma Brant

Pile on those fresh cut onions.

vegetable
    Emma Brant

Smother the pizza in spinach! Spinach is rich in antioxidants and wilts down when cooked, so don't worry about adding too much.

vegetable, spinach, salad, lettuce, pasture, malabar spinach, basil, cabbage
    Emma Brant

Cover and place the pot on the cooking grate over your blazing fire. Rotate the pot 90° every ten minutes or until your dough is cooked through, but not burnt.

meat, beef
    Emma Brant

Remove from heat (preferably using oven mitts instead of a stick and bandanas!).

meat, vegetable, soup
    Emma Brant

Scoop out all that goodness, top with fresh cherry tomatoes, and dig in! A big bowl of deep dish is sure to warm you up on a chilly night in the woods.

shrimp
    Emma Brant

In the end...

Camping isn't for everyone, but getting outside with some of your best friends is a great way to create loads of laughs and memories that will last a lifetime. When you learn a recipe that means so much to someone you care about, you can't help but love every bite. Thanks so much, Lena, I can't wait to see what you continue to have in store for us

Check out our complete Devil's Lake Fall-venture on Youtube and be sure to follow Lena's amazing expeditions on Instagram @existingoutside

chocolate, pizza, cake
Emma Brant