Love your spicy tuna roll but hate the way weekly sushi nights empty your wallet? Looking for a healthier alternative to your typical order?

This quick and easy recipe requires no culinary ability whatsoever while beautifully recreating everything you love about sushi, no rolling required. If you can boil water and chop a carrot, you can make this deconstructed spicy tuna sushi bowl.

Though some of the ingredients may seem intimidating at first, once these cheap and versatile Asian staples are in your arsenal you’ll be able to utilize the deep, complex flavors of sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, and soy sauce in countless impressive yet easy meals.

With a stocked pantry and this recipe on hand, wasting money at overpriced sushi restaurants will be a thing of the past.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes

Servings: 2

3 cups steamed white rice
1/2 pound sashimi tuna
4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, divided
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Red pepper flakes (to taste)
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
1 avocado, sliced
1 carrot, julienned or grated
1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
Cilantro

1. Steam the white rice according to instructions and prepare the ginger, avocado, carrot, and cucumber.

Sushi

Photo by Becca Buchanan

2. Mix together 2 tablespoons of the rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, sesame oil, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the sesame seeds, and ginger in a medium bowl.

Sushi

Photo by Becca Buchanan

3. Cut the tuna into bite size pieces and add it to the marinade. Mix the steamed rice with the remaining 2 tablespoons of the rice wine vinegar.

Sushi

Photo by Becca Buchanan

4. Portion the rice into two bowls and top each with half of the marinated tuna, avocado and cucumber slices, and carrots. Garnish with additional sesame seeds, red pepper flakes, and cilantro to taste.

Sushi

Photo by Becca Buchanan

Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it?

DpnTBr7HAamJwC8iWMUhWCG4AegrIZoGkvib2J0vw5Y

Recipe adapted from: Heather Cristo

Looking for more at-home sushi inspiration? Check these out: