When it comes to the colder seasons, broccoli cheddar soup is always the right choice. While this soup may be an easy recipe, you may learn a thing or two. 

Have you ever heard of a roux? It's what makes this soup so thick and crave-worthy. It also sounds fancy, so feel free to say it over and over while completing step two.

Now enough talking about it... let's do the damn thing.

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

• Total Time:1 hr

• 5 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
  • 1 medium sweet yellow onion diced small
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
  • 2 cups fat-free half and half
  • 2-3 cups broccoli florets diced + 1 cup stems
  • 2 large carrots sliced into thin rounds
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 8 ounces grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
vegetable
Photo by Sara Carte

Saute the diced onion in 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally until translucent for about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Set aside.

rice, vegetable, risotto
    Photo by Sara Carte

In a heavy bottom pot, add the remaining butter and flour and cook over medium heat. It is important to stir constantly because it will easily burn. This is called a roux and it thickens the soup.

cream, dairy product, bread, milk
    Photo by Sara Carte

Slowly add the vegetable stock whisking constantly, followed by the half and half, whisking constantly. Allow the mixture to simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes, whisking occasionally to reincorporate the "skin" that forms on the top, which is normal.

coffee, wine, tea, milk, cream
    Photo by Sara Carte

Add the salt, pepper, broccoli, carrots, onion and garlic. Let this simmer for 20-25 minutes. While the soup simmers, grate the cheese. It's important to use high-quality cheese because the flavor of the soup depends on it.

soup, vegetable

Once the 20-25 minutes is up, stir in the cheese until melted and incorporated fully. This should only take a minute.

soup, scrambled, vegetable

Transfer soup to bowls, garnish with a pinch of shredded cheese, and serve immediately. If you have leftovers, they will be good for 5-7 days in the fridge if stored airtight.

soup, vegetable, parsley, bread, broth

Make this broccoli cheddar your own by adding a personal twist. My favorite is serving it in a sourdough bread bowl.  

#SpoonTip: Look in the bakery section of your grocery store for older bread, it is usually on sale. 

So instead of spending money at Panera, make this recipe at home and save the extra cash to treat yo self. I suggest also looking at the dessert recipes Spoon has to offer.