Okay, so I realize that most college students aren’t just throwing together a lasagna when their bellies start rumbling, but I promise this recipe is worth it. Make this on a Sunday night and you have dinner for a week, or whip it up to prove to your boyfriend that you are possible “wife material.” I have tried the latter and it worked rather well in my humble opinion.

I have grown up on this lasagna and it’s a comfort food staple in my house. This is not a dorm-friendly recipe by any means, but maybe call up a friend and see if their kitchen is in use because you need this in your life as soon as possible. Oh, and in case you are wondering who is Mrs. Debbie, she is the neighbor and second mother that brought this meal into my life. So this creation will forever be known as hers.

The best part about this recipe is that as long as you stick with the basic ingredients, you can tweak it as you like. For a meatier sauce, use a bit more than the recommended amount of meat, and feel free to sub in your preferred type of cheese too. Sometimes, when I really want something hearty, I will add more meat AND cheese. It is really up to you.

Mrs. Debbie's Comfort Food Lasagna

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:40 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour
  • Servings:6-8

• 1 box Barilla No-Bake Noodles
  • 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
  • 14.5 oz diced tomatoes with juice
  • 8 oz tomato sauce
  • 1package thick and zesty spaghetti sauce (preferably McCormick's)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 24 oz cottage cheese
  • 1 package mozzarella cheese slices
  • Salt
  • Pepper
Photo by Aubrey Miller

Preheat the oven to 375°F.

Photo by Aubrey Miller

Sauté the ground beef in a skillet breaking apart the meat until it is cooked.

Photo by Natalie Proctor

Drain the meat. Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, spaghetti mix, and garlic powder to the pan. Salt and pepper to taste.

Photo by Natalie Proctor

Mix together to combine.

Photo by Natalie Proctor

In a 8×11 baking dish, spread a thin layer of the sauce on the bottom of the dish so that the noodles do not stick.

Photo by Natalie Proctor

Now begins the layering process. Place a layer of the no-bake noodles on top of the thin layer of sauce.

Photo by Natalie Proctor

Next, add a layer of the meat sauce mixture.

Photo by Natalie Proctor

Follow with a layer of the mozzarella slices.

Photo by Natalie Proctor

Finish this set with a layer of the cottage cheese (personally, my favorite part).

Photo by Natalie Proctor

Now repeat steps 7-10 until you reach the top of the baking dish. This does not have to be an exact science. If needed, add a little more cheese or meat sauce with each layer.

Photo by Natalie Proctor

Top with a layer of the sliced mozzarella cheese.

Photo by Natalie Proctor

Cover in non-stick aluminum foil (or spray foil with pam) and bake according to the directions on the no-bake noodle box.

Photo by Natalie Proctor

Remove aluminum foil and cook for 5-10 more minutes until the cheese is nice and bubbly.

Photo by Aubrey Miller

Enjoy with family and friends or maybe even that soon to be mother-in-law.

Photo by Aubrey Miller