If there's one recipe that reminds me of my family, it would be my great-grandmother's chocolate-covered coconut cookies. Baking and cooking have always been a huge part of my family's lives, and I guess you could say it all started when my great-grandfather and mother opened up their own bakery in the United States during the early 1900s.  

This particular recipe was crafted by my great-grandmother herself and has been passed down for several generations. As someone who enjoys baking, I am proud to come from a line of creative and innovative bakers.  

These cookies are usually made during Christmastime when my family gets together. However, they're great for any occasion, whether it be a simple gift for your roommate or a sweet tooth satisfaction. 

Chocolate-Covered Coconut Cookies

• 1 Cup Butter- creamed
  • 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
  • 3 Eggs
  • 2 Tbsp Milk
  • 2 Cups Coconut Flakes
  • 2 1/2 Cups Flour
  • 1 Tsp Baking Powder
  • A Pan and Parchment Paper
  • 1 Cup Milk Chocolate Chips
Olivia Stultz

Preheat the oven to 350°

Olivia Stultz

While the oven is preheating, combine butter, sugar, eggs, and milk. Then, cream all of these ingredients together. Set aside.

Olivia Stultz

Combine the flour and baking powder. Add this dry mixture to the cream mixture previously made.

Olivia Stultz

Add the coconut flakes to the mixture, and mix together well.

Olivia Stultz

Line the cookie sheet or pan with parchment paper, and spoon cookie dough onto the pan evenly. Make sure the cookies are an inch and a half apart.

Olivia Stultz

Place the cookies in the oven. Let them bake for 12 minutes, or until edges become lightly brown.

Olivia Stultz

When finished in the oven, take the pan out, and let cookies cool completely.

Olivia Stultz

After cookies have cooled, you can either enjoy right away or add melted chocolate (melt chocolate in the microwave for about 10-second intervals, stirring in between, then drizzle over cookies.).

Olivia Stultz

Final Thoughts and Tips: 

You can swap out dairy milk with a plant-based alternative (I used almond milk and they were still amazing). However, do not use margarine in place of butter. My grandmother was very persistent in telling me this as it will ruin the way the cookies bake. Also, if the cookie dough becomes sticky after mixing, lightly cover your hands with butter as they will be easier to roll in balls.

So grab your oven mitt, a few ingredients, and start baking!