If anyone knows how to make the classic Middle Eastern dish of hummus it's Israeli-born chef, recipe-writer and restaurant owner Yotam Ottolenghi.

Ottolenghi's hummus includes a lengthy prep time due to the overnight soaking of the chickpeas, but it is 100% worth the wait. With the secret ingredient of baking soda during the cooking process, the final product boasts an incredibly smooth and creamy texture, only one winning feature of the dish.

Along with the silkiness of this hummus are the delightful tangs of flavor throughout, from garlic to tahini to zesty lemon. The ultimate component of the Middle Eastern spread you're putting together, this hummus will soon become a classic in your kitchen and you'll find yourself making it for every gathering you host.

Yotam Ottolenghi's Classic Hummus

• Prep Time:12 hrs
  • Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:13 hrs

• 1 1/4 cup dried chickpeas
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons light tahini paste
  • 4 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 4 cloves garlic crushed
  • Salt
  • 6 1/2 tablespoon ice-cold water
dough, cream, dairy product, flour, sweet, pastry, milk, cake, butter
Madeleine Cohen

Put chickpeas in a large bowl and cover with cold water at least twice their volume. Leave to soak overnight.

legume, pea, cereal, vegetable, chickpeas, garbanzo, corn
    Madeleine Cohen

The next day, drain chickpeas. In medium saucepan, combine drained chickpeas and baking soda over high heat and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 6 1/2 cups of water and bring to boil. Cook at simmer, skimming off any skins that float to the surface. Cook between 20 and 40 minutes, until chickpeas are very tender and break between your thumb and finger—they should be almost but not quite mushy.

soup, vegetable, bread, cream
    Madeleine Cohen

Drain chickpeas and then place into a food processor and process until you get thick paste.

vegetable, corn, cereal
    Madeleine Cohen

While machine is still running, add in tahini paste, lemon juice, garlic, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Slowly drizzle in the ice water, and then allow it to mix for 5 minutes until you get a smooth and creamy paste.

cream, milk, egg, dairy product, flour, batter
    Madeleine Cohen

Transfer hummus to bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let cool for at least 30 minutes. If not using then, refrigerate until needed, up to two days. Remove from fridge at least 30 minutes before serving.

Madeleine Cohen