Traditionally made with olive oil, egg yolk, and a generous amount of garlic, aioli can be used as a dip for veggies and fries or as a topping on your favorite sandwich. Although this spread seems like it should be reserved for dishes like gourmet burgers and seafood, it’s actually super easy to learn how to make aioli at home. I’ve created two simple aioli recipes with ingredients I already had in my pantry to show how little time and effort it takes to make this flavorful condiment. The first recipe is inspired by this recipe from Nutriliving and is made with more traditional ingredients like egg and olive oil. The second recipe, inspired by Chowhound, uses store-bought mayonnaise as a base and is especially tasty when paired with red meats or vegetables. 

Traditional Aioli

• Cook Time:0

• 1 egg yolk
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon salt
Alex Frank

Separate the yolk from the rest of the egg add only the yolk to the lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Vigorously whisk the mixture with a fork for 1 minute.

Alex Frank

Add the olive oil to the mixture and then whisk the mixture again with a fork until it comes together and is no longer runny.

Alex Frank

Mayo-based Aioli

• Cook Time:0

• 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon minced onions
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
Alex Frank

Mix all ingredients until combined.

Alex Frank

Aioli should be refrigerated in a tightly sealed container and should last up to a week. Try pairing your aioli with a variety of dishes to see how you like it best. This BLT sandwich would go well with aioli, as would these bacon tacos and these snow crab claws with cilantro aioli