Grilled cheese is one of the most nostalgic childhood foods. As a child, I remember coming inside after helping my dad rake leaves to enjoy a warm, melty grilled cheese with my family. As I've gotten older, I've come to love the warmness grilled cheese (vegan varieties- not so much) brings. 

The Vermonster is a popular sandwich I make for my non-vegan friends often. I use crusty ciabatta for the bread; the Red Hen's bread has a soft spot in my heart. As for the cheese, the sharper the better! If you live in Vermont, I'd recommend getting Shelburne Farms or Grafton Cheese Co. cheese to make this recipe. Sharper cheese have a more piquant flavor that isn't found in your standard American sliced cheese. 

If the thought of crunchy apples in a sandwich doesn't excite you, you can cook them down with butter, maple syrup, and cinnamon to make them a little softer. I like to leave the peel on the apple, but it is easier to work with without the peel. 

Vermonster Grilled Cheese Sandwich

• 2 slices crusty sandwich bread
  • 1/4 cup shaved sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup Granny Smith apple slices
  • 2 tsp. maple syrup
  • 4 slices turkey or ham deli meat
  • 2 tsp. olive oil
cheddar, dairy product, dairy, milk, cheese
Caroline Ingalls

First, heat up a pan on medium-high heat. Using a pastry brush, coat one side of the sliced bread with olive oil. Place into pan, oiled side down. Use a pastry brush to gently coat the up-side of the bread with the maple syrup. Cover with cheese, apple slices, deli meat, and other slice of bread. Coat exterior bread layer with oil. After cooking 3-4 minutes (or until brown), carefully flip sandwich and grill again for 3-4 minutes or until crispy.