Valentines Day is not for everyone, but treating yourself is. You should get to pamper yourself without having to go out to an expensive restaurant with time, money, and a date that you just don't have. Instead, make yourself a steakhouse dinner for one that you do not even have to get out of your pajamas to make. The best part about a steakhouse dinner for one? No sharing! This recipe is fast, fancy, and perfectly romantic for a night of self love and blissful alone time. Oh, and did I mention the total cost is $15?

Garlic Butter Steak with Mashed Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese

• 1 1.5lb butternut squash
  • 1 tbsp goat cheese
  • 1 thin cut New York Strip steak
  • 2-4 garlic cloves
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1 sprig rosemary optional
Robin Kopf

Preheat oven to 425°. Peel and cut the butternut squash into 1/2-1 inch cubes.

Robin Kopf

Mix butternut squash, 1 tbsp of vegetable oil, and a hefty amount of salt and pepper in a medium mixing bowl.

Robin Kopf

On a sheet pan lined with baking paper or aluminum foil, spread out the squash in one even layer. Add 1-3 garlic cloves depending on the size of the garlic and how much garlic you like. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a fork easily pierces a piece of squash. After about 15 minutes, toss the squash in the pan with a set of tongs and continue to bake for the remaining 10 minutes.

Robin Kopf

While the squash is baking, season the steak with salt and pepper. It is ok if the steak looks over seasoned! It is hard to over salt a steak.

Robin Kopf

Pour 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a heavy bottomed skillet, such as a cast iron skillet, and turn the heat up to medium-high. When the oil is shimmering and just starting to smoke, carefully add the steak. After 30 seconds, flip the steak. Working quickly, add a clove of garlic, 1 tbsp of butter, and the rosemary to the pan and move the steak around with tongs so it absorbs some of the butter. You can also tilt the pan and spoon the butter over the steak. After another 30 seconds, transfer the steak to a plate and cover with aluminum foil to rest.

Robin Kopf

When the squash is done baking, transfer to a mixing bowl and add the goat cheese and the leftover butter from the steak and mash with a potato masher. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Robin Kopf

Plate up and enjoy!

Robin Kopf