As the fall semester draws to a close, thus begins the season of celebration and feasting. You and your homies will maybe throw a Friendsgiving, an ugly sweater Christmas party, or some other holiday function that will require you to bring some yummy dessert for everyone to munch on.

Instead of fattening your friends up with the usual apple or pumpkin pie,  treat your friends to this pear galette instead. Galettes are basically free-form pies or tarts, but still look fancy enough to where it looks like you tried really hard. Rick Ross also says that pears helped him lose weight, so you can tell your friends you’re helping them curb their holiday weight gain.

Pear Galette

• Prep Time:1 hour 45 minutes
  • Cook Time:1 hour
  • Total Time:2 hours 45 minutes
  • Servings:8+
  • Advanced

• 2 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt (for the dough)
  • 1 teaspoon sugar (for the dough)
  • 2 chilled sticks of butter
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3 pears
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter
  • 1 egg

Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl to make the dough.

#SpoonTip: You can do this by hand, but a food processor works as well.

Take the chilled butter and break it into smaller pieces.

#SpoonTip: Chunky butter will keep your crust flaky and light. I grated each stick of butter in order to get smaller chunks of butter but if you don’t have a grater, you can just cut the chilled butter into small cubes.

Combine butter with your flour mixture.

#SpoonTip: When doing this by hand, make sure to cup your hand (like you’re doing the princess wave) so that you aren’t breaking up the butter pieces.

Gradually pour in a little ice water at a time to your dry mixture so that it doesn’t become too wet. Continue to mix with your cupped hand and remember not to squish the mixture between your fingers. Stop adding water and mixing when the mixture is damp enough to where it clumps together but isn’t totally compact.

Pour the dough mixture into the middle of a large piece of saran wrap. Grab the edges of the wrap and push the mixture inward from all sides to combine the mixture into one big dough disc. Separate into two discs and let chill for at least an hour before use.

#SpoonTip: This recipe only needs one disc of dough, so save the other one for future pies, tarts, or galettes. The dough can be stored in the freezer for up to one month, meaning you don’t have to worry about making multiple doughs for all the holiday parties you’re going to this season.

making dough into disc

To make your filling, peel and core three large pears. Slice the pears into thin quarter slices.

Combine pears with cornstarch, sugar, and a sprinkle of salt in a bowl and gently mix.

Flour your surface to roll dough on. Take one of the dough discs you previously made and roll the dough out to be about a 1/4 inch thick.

Transfer the dough to a baking sheet and arrange your pears in the center of the dough however you like, making sure to leave at least 3 inches between the filling and the dough all the way around.

Fold the dough edges over the pear filling. Gently press the dough to smooth out where the folds overlap.

Melt a tablespoon of butter and brush all over the pear mixture.

#SpoonTip: Elevate the flavor of your galette by mixing a little vanilla bean to your butter or browning your butter and brushing that all over your pears.

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Beat an egg and brush the dough edges with the egg wash so that your dough will ~*glisten*~.

Place galette on a lined baking tray and let cook for one hour or until golden brown. Slice, serve, and feast.

Photo by Jamie Medina