My dad perfected my grandma’s chocolate chip cookie recipe. When I was growing up he would whip up batches of puffy, golden cookies, leaving the bowl of extra dough to be eaten by my mom and I.

As I grew older he passed on his secrets to me and I spent years in our kitchen mixing and measuring before one day, I finally pulled the cookie sheet out of the oven to realize I had replicated the recipe perfectly.

After a few years of doing this, boredom began to consume me and I started to experiment more with the recipe. Chocolate chip cookies are very versatile, I quickly learned, and I did everything from stuffing dough with S’mores to making layered cookie cakes to slutty brownies.

Recently I decided to whip up a batch in for a potluck dinner I had, so I went to the store searching for the ingredients I needed. After throwing the basics in my basket — flour, sugar, eggs, vanilla — I impulsively threw in some Nutella, Oreos, and marshmallows as well.

What resulted is a cookie-bar hybrid that probably weighed more than I do and tasted like heaven.

Marshmallo Oreo Nutella Bars

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:40 minutes

• 2 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 2 sticks of Crisco vegetable margarine
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 package Oreos
  • 1/2 cup Nutella
  • 1/2 package mini Marshmallows

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Combine flour, salt and baking soda in bowl. Whisk together and set aside.

In larger bowl, combine Crisco sticks, both sugars, and vanilla. Whisk with fork until creamy.

Add eggs, mixing well after each one until smooth.

In three parts, add flour mixture to wet ingredient mixture, whisking well after each addition. Dough should become thicker and harder to mix after each addition.

Add in chocolate chips. Spoon half of the mixture into a 9×13 pan. Add a layer of Oreos and a pour in a thin layer of marshmallows.

Photo by Sierra Conine

Add the remaining dough over the marshmallow-oreo layer. Smooth with spatula.

Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes or until top begins to turn golden.

Put Nutella in microwave for 1-2 minutes then drizzle over top of cake. Take extra Oreos and crumble over top for garnish.

Photo by Sierra Conine