McDonald's has relaunched the Shamrock Shake, a mint flavoured milkshake in celebration of Saint Patrick's Day. In the spirit of the season, I thought why not make a healthy version of this shake? It's perfect for health conscious individuals who may want to indulge in something sweet for this holiday.

This drink is a light and refreshing version of the original Shamrock Shake. It replaces the ice cream, whipping cream, and syrup with fresh ingredients that are lower in calories and fat. This recipe can easily be created at home and the ingredients are also quite easy to come by at any grocery store. This recipe is fast, easy, and cheap.

Note that this recipe does require a bullet or full-sized blender (depending on the serving size you wish to make).

Healthy Shamrock Shake

• Cook Time:0

• 1 cup 2% milk
  • 1 cup 2% yogurt – frozen
  • 1 small banana – frozen
  • 3 fresh mint branches
  • 5 drops green food colouring – optional
  • Note: This recipe's mint flavouring is fairly mild. If you prefer a stronger mint flavour add 2-3 drops mint extract.
Joana Martins

Pluck mint leaves from the branches, wash them and finely chop the leaves.

vegetable, grass, herb, pasture, mint, Fresh, nature
    Ellen Gibbs

Add the frozen banana, frozen yogurt, milk, and chopped mint leaves into the blender. Add the green food colouring and mint extract if desired.

Mayleen Zhagnay

Blend all the ingredients until there is a smooth consistency. Do not over-blend to the point that the mixture becomes too thin. Pour the shake out into a cup to serve. Serve while cold.

Joana Martins

It is important to note that this recipe only lasts up to 2 days in the refrigerator – keep that in mind if you intend to make this recipe in several servings.

Making healthier choices does not need to be a difficult decision when there are great alternatives out there. Remember: healthy does not mean less pleasant of an experience.