When it comes time for dessert, it’s hard to stay healthy, especially when sugar and butter are involved. Fortunately, this apple tart with a walnut crust will satiate your sweet tooth without causing you too much guilt.

Walnut Apple Tart

• Prep Time:30 minutes
  • Cook Time:2 hours
  • Total Time:2 1/2 hours
  • Servings:6-8

• 3 cup walnuts
  • 5 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 1-2 teaspoon coconut oil (warmed)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 2 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 4 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 3 apples

Blend walnuts in a food processor until they reach a consistency similar to coffee grounds, not too fine or too course. It may help to grind it in sections if your food processor is small.

Photo by Mary Schoneman

Add the maple syrup, coconut oil, cinnamon and salt to the walnuts and mix well. It should be a pasty consistency without being too wet.

Spoon a couple teaspoons of this mixture into a small ramekin. Spread mixture with spoon or thumb onto bottom and sides to form a thin crust.

Photo by Mary Schoneman

Put into the oven and heat for 200ºF for two hours, or until crust is dried.

While the walnut crust is cooking, put your coconut oil into a pot to heat over a very low flame. Combine with maple syrup, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg.

While the syrup mixture is heating, core and dice apples into small chunks.

Photo by Mary Schoneman

Add apples to syrup mixture along with water and cornstarch.

Keep on low heat for 10-14 minutes, stirring constantly.

Once apples have softened, remove from heat and cover mixture. Let sit until crust is ready.

Once the walnut crust is ready, pour the apple and syrup mixture into the crust and heat in oven for an additional 5 minutes or until warmed.

Remove from oven and serve warm.