To beat the winter blues, most of us look no further than a mug of hot chocolate (and a good book). We all have our favourite additions: cinnamon, Nutella, or even a helping of mulled wine for that extra bit of decadence. This hot chocolate is completely vegan (just be sure to check your cocoa powder has no added milk products). It incorporates malty flavours, just the right amount of spirit, and plant-based milk to stop you feeling sluggish afterwards. This recipe fills one small mug, so be sure to double (or triple!) the measurements depending on your serving size. To make your own boozy vegan hot chocolate, read ahead!

Boozy Vegan Hot Chocolate

• 1 teaspoon malt extract
  • 1 teaspoon whiskey
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 200ml plant-based milk
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1 drop vanilla extract
  • 1 cinnamon stick
Rebecca Salter

Mix together the malt extract, whiskey, and maple syrup to create a paste (doing this at the bottom of the mug with a spoon works fine). Leave the mixture to stand while you prepare the rest.

#SpoonTip: Feel free to add more malt and whiskey depending on your preference (but maybe not before a 9am lecture).

Rebecca Salter

Heat the plant-based milk, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract on low-medium heat for 5 minutes, or until it begins steaming, whisking continually.

#SpoonTip: Add the milk gradually to ensure the mixture blends smoothly. If you prefer a thicker hot chocolate, omit 50ml of milk. Just make sure there's enough to fill your mug!

Rebecca Salter

Remove the hot chocolate from the heat and pour a small amount into your mug. Stir to incorporate well.

Rebecca Salter

Add the rest of the hot chocolate and continue stirring to let the flavours mingle.

Rebecca Salter

Finish by adding your cinnamon stick for extra flavour (and aesthetics). Give it a stir to add some extra sweetness, and enjoy your boozy brew with a fun read and a cosy blanket.

Rebecca Salter